Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

"Auto Lock" activation

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:25 PM
KCRC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Auto Lock" activation

I recently purchased a 2nd Stratus, a 1997 in addition to the 1996 I already own.

My question is: How do I activate the "Auto Lock" feature, where the power door locks actuate when the vehicle reaches 10 MPM?

My '96 always had this feature working, but the in the '97 the doors oly lock when you hit the lock button. The owner's manual says to "See a Dealer who will activate this feature for a nominal charge". Is there a way to tun this feature on without having to deal with the Dealer?

Old 09-10-2008, 01:37 PM
ratsttam
Captain

You will need to take it to a dealer, they have a tool called a BCM Programmer (body control module) that can change some functions of the car. I had looked into this because my doors DO LOCK which for me is a royal pain due to the ammount of times per night I have to get out and open the rear door to get the bags in and out for my pizza delivery job.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:00 PM
gpg
Rookie

ratsttam, since you *do* have the feature, can't you just disable it? There were steps detailed on it somewhere around here.. (turn ignition, press and hold driver side lock or something)

I wish I had this feature too, but I'll probably just live without it. It's just fun watching people try to get out of my car d:

Old 09-12-2008, 02:03 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by gpg
ratsttam, since you *do* have the feature, can't you just disable it? There were steps detailed on it somewhere around here.. (turn ignition, press and hold driver side lock or something)

I wish I had this feature too, but I'll probably just live without it. It's just fun watching people try to get out of my car d:
Nope... I had a running thread here a couple months ago. All the methods described work with 2nd gen strats ('01 +). I have a first gen ('00). I got a copy of the service manual which states that the behavior can be changed with a BCM Programmer, which your dealer can do for a nominal fee.

-- as far as watching people try to get out of the car, they unlock when you pull the handle unless the child lock is engaged

Old 09-16-2008, 10:25 AM
gpg
Rookie

Hmm, odd, mine doesn't, at least it does not on the passenger side (2dr coupe), so they usually pull the handle 3-4 times until they figure out you have to unlock it.. I'll have to check to see if the child lock is engaged, but I don't believe it is. There was a thread on 2g strat about trying to copy the behavior of the driver's side to the passenger's side, but it's purely mechanical from what I understand

Last edited by gpg; 09-16-2008 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Did I really just say "mine don't"...?
Old 09-16-2008, 03:11 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by gpg
Hmm, odd, mine doesn't, at least it does not on the passenger side (2dr coupe), so they usually pull the handle 3-4 times until they figure out you have to unlock it.. I'll have to check to see if the child lock is engaged, but I don't believe it is. There was a thread on 2g strat about trying to copy the behavior of the driver's side to the passenger's side, but it's purely mechanical from what I understand
gpg,
and here is the differences in the 1g to 2g. I have the last of the 1g, you have the first of the 2g. The only thing my car shares with your car is the stratus name, and the fact that the engine was made by mitsubishi, so it's really not all that odd that my strat behaves differently than yours

Oddly, I did find that If i use the key to unlock the door (me, using the key... right), it'll unlock all the doors if i turn it a second time, and will do it the first time if done from the passenger side.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:37 PM
gpg
Rookie

Ah, that makes all the difference :] I didn't see it in your profile (I just added my vehicle information today..) They must've got wiped out during the forum change. hehe

Quick Reply: "Auto Lock" activation