Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

gas fumes

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:01 PM
girliegirl4play
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry gas fumes

my 2000 coupe with a 2.4 suddenly started smelling like gas then my gas gauge went from 1/3 tank to empty in a 10 mile span. there are no visible leaks and we dropped the tank down and all the hoses look good. any sujestions or has this happened to anyone .at the same time this was happening my pipe on the back of the resinator that goes to the muffler broke off and was disconeted it was loud and lost power but has been welded up now.i dont want to put the tank back in until i find the problem. please help this girlie..thanks

Old 09-30-2008, 04:43 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A lot of this doesnt make sense.... Coupe wasnt made in 2000. Only 2001-2005. Theres no point to dropping the tank down, because anything important is under the rear seat. (Fuel pump, filter, sensor)

Muffler breaking off wont reduce power at all, seeing as you have two catalytic convertors and two resonators (plenty of back pressure). I know this for a fact mainly because I have a straight pipe welded where my muffler used to be.

You confuse me.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:48 PM
girliegirl4play
Smile

oppsies,,,im just a girlie...i have a 2000 status se with 2.4. And I have the tank already out. thanks brenda

Old 09-30-2008, 08:33 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star

Originally Posted by girliegirl4play
oppsies,,,im just a girlie...i have a 2000 status se with 2.4. And I have the tank already out. thanks brenda
Which is it??! Coupe or Sedan 2.4? Your first post said coupe, but there wasnt one made in 2000. Now you say 2000 SE with 2.4, and that could go either way. Easy way to find out- how many doors does your car have? lol.

The only thing I can think of is a bad fuel line towards the engine. Does the car run fine?

Old 10-01-2008, 12:17 AM
girliegirl4play
Smile

lol....ok, It has 4 doors and its a 2000 dodge status with a 2.4. (laughing) and no its not running fine...cause it gives me a headache from all the gas fumes. thats why i was confused on what car i really had. twrilling my blonde hair....any sugestions?

Old 10-01-2008, 06:44 AM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star

Besides smelling like gas, does it sound like the engine is 'coughing' under the hood? Could have a horrendous misfire, or just a leaking fuel line under the hood. Did you remove the gas tank because the smell was back there, or just because you thought, "Hey thats where the gas is stored, maybe the smell is from there?"

I haven't a clue at this point.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:17 AM
girliegirl4play

we dropped the tank to see if the lines above it were cracked . there looked like there was some wetness on the tank straps and we could not be certain it was gas or not. everything smelled like gas but it did not everaporate very fast.we thought for sure it ws a simple hose that split but not the case. thnks

Old 10-02-2008, 12:19 AM
girliegirl4play

the car ran ok not as well as usual but it went through 5 gallons in 10 miles of driving. thanks again

Old 10-02-2008, 10:29 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no check engine light?

Old 10-05-2008, 05:32 AM
girliegirl4play
Default found the problem...ka-boom

It just wasnt my time to leave this world....smiles. I HAVE A GIGANTIC HOLE IN MY GAS TANK THAT MY EXHAUST PUT THERE.
Remember I said in the begining....that first my tail pipe broke apart from the resinator....so now think about all the things that could go wrong. Like the, "torch like flame" shooting out the pipe...aimed directly at the plastic gas tank, causing a hole to let the gases out. Wow...and remember how i said i went thru 25 dollars in a 10 mile drive....(good thing my son said to drive the car directly home and he would look at it after work. Hes a toyota tech.
He didnt see the hole until he was ready to put it back in...Scary huh?
we put a straight pipe in and jb weld on the tank...need to buy a new tank, but for now this will have to due, so does anyone know or have a gas tank for sale?
Twrilling my blonde hair.

Quick Reply: gas fumes