Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Camshaft sprocket notches

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 05:07 PM
yuel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft sprocket notches

My probelm after putting in a new timng belt, it just turns over and over, doesnt sound like it wants to start or sputter. Now the problem i am seeing is that the camshaft sprocket towards the front of the car has two notches, not one like the rear sprocket. Has anyone seen this problem or why is there two notches, i have the official service manual, and it doesnt mention about having two notches!!! so i am assuming that i have to redo the whole thing again to the other notch. if anyone has any advice or opionion, i will take either or both, or may i am an idiot and cant figure this out.
thanks

Old 10-12-2008, 10:33 PM
craveyj
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure the year and engine you are working with. I just finishing replacing the the timing belt on my car a 2000 dodge stratus 2.5L V6.

Steps to set timing on 2000 dodge stratus 2.5L V6

1. If the tensioner pully has the correct pressure you can insert a 7/64 drill bit in the hole as outlined on page 9-174 fig 74. If the drill bit is too big use a 3/32 drill bit.
If the tension is not correct you will have to compress the tensioner as outline in the manual.

2. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise and set the timing marks if one cylinder head is off that ok for now. Page 9-174 figure 73 and figure 76 of the service manual. Mark the timing belt with direction of rotation and front and rear.

3. Insert 7/64 drill bit to compress tensioner pully. release timing belt pully tension and remove belt.

4. rotate crankshaft pully counter clockwise 3 notches BTC as outline in service manual page 9-174 figure 75.

5. Be very care check the camshaft timing notches as oultined on page 9-174 figure 73 and figure 76. If you camshaft timing are not correct. Use the special tool 6847 to move camshaft spocket clockwise or counter clockwise a few notches to correct the timing.
Be very care you can damage the cylinders. Do not use the camshaft bolt with a socket or a wrench to move the camshaft pully. Haborfreight has vise grips that have a chain attachment. cut your old timing belt the length required to wrap the camshaft sprocket.

6. Wrap the old timing belt around the camshaft sprocket and lock the vise grip chain around the camshaft sprocket and move it the required number of notches to correct the timing. be very careful not to damage the cylinder head.

7. once you confirm the cylinder timing notches are correct. remove vise grip chain.

8. Install timing belt with the markings in same direction. Start with right cylinder(cylinder 1,3,5) Rear. Hold timing belt to camshaft sprocket with large paper binding clip (office depot or staples) sell them. now feed timing belt under water pump pully and over left camshaft sprocket (cylinder 2,4,6) front. Make sure that no slack is present between the right and left camshaft sprockets.

9. rotate the crankshaft sprocket 3 notches clockwise and the timing mark is correct as oulined on page 9-175 figure 77 of the service manual. feed the timing around crankshaft sprocket. if you are not able to remove all the slack between the left camshaft sprocket and crankshaft sprocket. Then rotate the crankshaft sprocket it should be very little.

10. feed timing belt over tensioner pully and set the correct pully tension. Very important you need the speical tool and a torque wrench.

11. verify you are able to remove and instert the 7/64 drill bit into tensioner.

12. Verify timing marks are correct as outline in service manual page 9-174 figure 73 and figure 76

13. remove binding clips from the camshaft sprockets and rotate the crankshaft sprocket clockwise and stop the timing marks on second revolution.

14. verify you are able to instert 7/64 drill bit in tensioner hole. If you are not able to insert the drill bit. repeat timing adjustments. Use a different 7/64 drill to verify setting. The first drill bit bends a little.

The following users liked this post:
redseamen81 (07-23-2021)
Old 10-13-2008, 09:54 AM
yuel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the engine is 96 2.4l, but it has two notches on the intake camshaft, so i guess i have to redo the the timing and set it up to the other notch.

Quick Reply: Camshaft sprocket notches