Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2004 Dodge Stratus Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Mommytobe1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 Dodge Stratus Help

Hello
I have a 2004 Dodge Stratus that I've had in the shop 6 times with in the last couple months due to a clunking noise it makes off and on somewhere behind the drivers side tire. I've had new tires put on it, new swey bar links, a four wheel alignment, new break pads on the front etc. So this noise it usually don't start until I'm out driving about 60-70mph. The weird thing is I've have taken this to a dealership 2 times to have it looked at and they cannot find this noise. Does anyone with a Dodge Stratus know what I'm talking about and can help me? The weird thing is that it doesn't do it all the time if I'm driving in town but it all starts when I usually am driving out of town or for a while at speeds of 60-70 mph then once I get back in town driving 35mph it will still do it until I park it. I can feel it also through my floorboard where my foot rests. Help!

Old 10-12-2008, 06:47 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like bad lower control arms/bushings to me

Old 10-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Mommytobe1

Originally Posted by bad venge
sounds like bad lower control arms/bushings to me

I forgot to put that in there. My lower control arms have been replaced. Nobody can figure this out. It's really frustrating.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:52 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are TWO a straight and curved arm have they both been replaced

Old 10-15-2008, 01:18 AM
Duo.Maxwell

Check your halfshafts. Look under the car and feel to see if the rubber boots are greasy or broken. Other than that, it's most likely your transmission...I had almost the same problem....would do a clunk clunk clunk clunk that would get faster as the car moved faster (only happened at higher speeds). I thought that it was my half-shaft so I tried replacing it...solved it for a little while but then it started again. A week later a tooth broke off of a gear in the torque converter housing and punched a 2" hole in my transmission. So,

1) Check half-shafts
2) Check tranny (aamco)

Good Luck,
Duo.Maxwell

Quick Reply: 2004 Dodge Stratus Help