Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Stratus 2.7 vs Intrepid 2.7 (among others)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:05 PM
qckslvrguyinkc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stratus 2.7 vs Intrepid 2.7 (among others)

First off, long time reader/first time poster. Great site.

Anyway, So my Strat's 2.7 blew last night (either threw a connecting rod or mashed the valves against at least 1 of the cylinders. After reading site after site today about all the issues with the 2.7 (and signing up for the possible class-action lawsuit), I've come to the realization that a 3.5 conversion would probably end up being my best bet. Having read everywhere about doing the conversion in an Intrepid/Concorde but not in a Stratus/Sebring, some of questions came to mind -

1) are there any differences between the wiring harnesses or the sensors for the 2.7 Stratus and 2.7 Intrepid, or any of the other cars that use the 3.5 for that matter (Avenger/3g Sebring, Charger/Magnum/300)?

2) why did Chrysler put out such a piece of crap engine in the first place, though when it works it's fairly decent and does pack a punch in the smaller car?

3) has anyone successfully installed a 3.5 into a 2005 Stratus?

4) is the 3.2 liter a plausible choice, considering the rules for the Intrepid conversion?

5) would it just bolt in-place on the Stratus like it would on an Intrepid?

6) what about the new 4 liter engine...would it work (even though it'll be god-awful expensive) or is it a different mounting that isn't compatible with the Stratus?)

Forgive me if I'm asking these questions for a second (or third or 15th) time; I did comb the Stratus board and couldn't find the answer.

Thanks.

(edit - 3.5L question additions and 4L question)

Last edited by qckslvrguyinkc; 10-27-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:37 PM
gmeades

Did you ever get an answer on this...?

I have an '01 Stratus with a blown 2.7L engine I'd love to do the swap on as well.
Can't seem to find any info on doing the swap in a Stratus though, for some reason.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:43 PM
sapporo
Banned

3.2/3.5 don't fit. I'd go with a 2.4 instead. But, IMHO, you'd be better off finding a good running wrecked car for parts or use your car as a parts car to fix a runner.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:07 PM
gmeades

Thanks for the reply, Sapporo.

I suppose if I had to choose between getting rid of the car or putting in the more reliable 2.4 liter, I'd go with the 2.4.

Just curious how much power difference there is between the engines. I've enjoyed that 2.7 for the last 10 years or so, as it was a pretty peppy engine. If I put the 2.4 in and need to pass someone, is it gonna be like a dog by comparison, or is the difference pretty slight? Any idea?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:29 PM
sapporo
Banned

I'm not a lead foot louie. so to me i don't care about how much power my daily driver makes. infact my daily use car has a whopping 58hp, and I'm quite content with it.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:13 AM
qckslvrguyinkc

I ended up getting a 2.7 from a totaled 2006 RT at the time, with 12000 miles on it. Ended up doing rear break drum to disc conversion at the same time.

It turned out that the original engine was missing it's oil plug (got it changed the day of that trip), so the nice people at the quicklube (or the responsible party) paid for it.

As far as engine power difference goes, there's a big difference between the 2.4 and 2.7 when getting on the highway - the 2.4 lacks any semblance of "oomph!" and takes it's sweet time getting up to 70 and 80 MPH. However, if you are going to do a 2.4 conversion, look for the turbo variant - you'll get about the same gas milage but quite a bit more take-off. I think there's a couple of aesthetics on the engine that also need to be changed to make it fit in a Stratus, but it's a mod that I've seen done - a friend of mine has a stage 3 kit installed on his and loves eating Hondas with something that looks completely stock.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:54 PM
sapporo
Banned

I'd be content with a 2.4. I can't drive 80mph anyway, that's illegal in my area. top speed limit is 65. if i want to go fast, I'll take out my race car and race on a race track, never on the street. too many morons on the roads.

Quick Reply: Stratus 2.7 vs Intrepid 2.7 (among others)