Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Bright lights turn off headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 09:58 PM
pixelpadre
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bright lights turn off headlights

I just tried flashing my bright lights at someone tonight but when I did.......regular went off and brights didnt come on, even though the BLUE idiot light on dash was illuminated.

Any ideas what happened. 2000 stratus 2.5L

Old 11-02-2008, 10:11 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Pixel,
Please check the fuse panels (both at the left of the dash, open the driver door, it's there) and also the fuse panel where the jumpstart access is. The high beams use a seperate fuse that may be blown. Also check the relays under at the front fuse panel. Most are the same, so swapping relays will not cause damage, and will allow you to find out if that is the cause. There is also the possibility... that both high beams are burned out

Old 11-30-2008, 05:40 PM
gMatt82
Rookie

Update?

I had an issue with my Stratus that I got warranty work done. It wasn't no small task either. Issue, no regular lights, I could run high beams and my daytime running lights work, but the darn low beams wouldn't. The found that the switch was shorted, but to replace, they had to replace the whole wiring harness. Lame right, at least in my opinion. I saw it when it was all apart, the whole dash was out, everything interior was pretty much out. Besides the point, I get rattles now of I think nutplates or similar now too. But I mean, why not just make a connector to allow you to switch just the switch.

Just sharing what happened with me since I didn't see any follow up, was curious what you had found.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:41 PM
JonnieBlaze

Does anyone else have any idea what could have caused this? I have a 2000 Dodge Neon that did a similar thing recently. I started the car and turned on the headlights but they didnt turn on. The parking lights did, but not the headlights. I flashed my high beams on then off and then everything started working fine.

Tonight I was riding with my high beams and came up to an intersection so I flipped to my low beams. As soon as I make my left hand turn and start down the road my low beams turn off. My parking lights were still on, turn signals worked, flashers worked (had to use them see to see the side of the road) but the low beams were gone (and fogs). Flipped to my high beams then back to my low beams and all was fine.

Any idea why they'd be cutting out randomly?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:00 PM
gMatt82
Rookie

could be the problem that my car ended up having, the shorted switch. everything else worked for me, just like you are talking about, except the low beams. i had daytime lights and high beams, but the low beams did not work. for me it was the shorted switch.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:38 PM
pixelpadre
Rookie
Default Bad bulbs.............

Turns out that both bulbs had failed. Im guessing that one had failed earlier and I never noticed the problem until the second failed.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:14 AM
gMatt82
Rookie

Hey, I am glad it wasn't the switch. While we're talking about headlights. Anyone see on Ebay lights for our cars, like 5.00 for an HID lightbulb. I am getting close to the life of the bulb by now I am sure. I have been shopping anticipating a need to purchase soon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...ayphotohosting

Old 12-12-2008, 02:15 AM
gMatt82
Rookie

Well nevermind, I have googled information on those bulbs, I'd rather buy HID kit instead. Have read illegal if not factory installed. So I am treading lightly on this issues, asking the manufacturers and others questions.

Quick Reply: Bright lights turn off headlights