Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2001 R/T Auto Transmission Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:31 AM
stncttr908
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 R/T Auto Transmission Concerns

First let me state I'm not at all a car guy, so bear with me please.

I've had my 2001 R/T 4-speed auto tranny for about 7 months now. Got it with ~ 81k, put 8k on it since. Recently, most noticeably since it's gotten a bit colder out, I've noticed a bit of a grinding noise when shifting into reverse after starting the car and letting it warm for a minute or two. This persists while rolling/idling in 1st for maybe a quarter mile or so (by the time I exit my development the sound basically ceases).

Also, I've been noticing a bit of delay in shifting, particular from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. This seems to be at its worst during the first 5 miles of my commute, then seems to get a bit better. There's a significant delay in downshifting while trying to accelerate (highway on-ramps in particular) from 4th down to 3rd. Seems like an awfully long delay.

Also seems to be a bit of engine "fluttering" and the overall power just doesn't seem on par compared to what it was when I bought the car. The gas pedal seems a little mushy at times as well.

I had a 94 Spirit that needed a totally new transmission, so maybe I'm being paranoid, but I do feel like it should be taken to a dealer to be checked out. Would you all recommend a dealer or just any transmission shop?

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-31-2008, 01:07 PM
tomthedog
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not too up on the auto trannys. i'd suggest a fluid/filter change and see if that helps. just make sure you use the recomended atf fluid stated in the owner's manual. good luck and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: 2001 R/T Auto Transmission Concerns