Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Crossed wires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:47 PM
BallerChick2000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossed wires?

I have a 2001 Dodge Stratus (180K club) and every since I've had the transmission replaced (for the first time in 2003), my heating and air systems have not worked. I have taken it to the dealer and everywhere. No one can figure out the problem. Here's the deal:

When it is cold outside, I can only get heat IF I do not need to turn on my headlights. I leave out for work at 5:30am and it's still dark for most of my commute. Coming home is not a problem because it's still light outside. I can't go out to any dinner parties or functions at night ( lights = no heat, get it?) When I turn the unit off, the vents continue to blow ICE COLD AIR!!! Let me also note that when I am getting heat and then have to turn my lights on, there seems to be a change in the air flow. Instead of the air coming from the front vent (closest to the windshield) hot, it switches to the driver and passenger vents blowing cold air.

On the flip side, in the summer, my vents blow hot air even when the unit is NOT ON!! If I try to turn on the AC, all I get is hot air and it doesn't matter if my lights are on or not. In the summer, the hot air is blowing from the driver/passenger vents and the vents for warming your feet.

Now the newest problem is that my temp. gauge seems to be stuck based on the weather. I will let my car warm up for 30 mins and it will still read Ice Cold. I checked the anitfreeze level and it's good. I just had a new thermostat put in last summer.

After 2 transmissions, 2 timing belts, water pump, 3 sets of rooters and other scheduled work taking place more often than required, I'm so ready to get rid of this car. Just trying to hold off until the summer.

Please HELP!!! I'm tired of driving in the cold!!!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:45 PM
BallerChick2000

Yep, just as I thought..no one can seem to help me. Now there is a knocking in my dashboard whenever I do get heat in my car. I can't wait until the Summer!!! Honda here I come!!!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:34 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A trouble like this would be near impossible to diagnose over the internet... I would suggest finding a shop that specilizes in electrical trouble

Old 01-08-2009, 11:18 PM
tomthedog
Captain

when you start off in the mourning, what do you have the heater control set on? any defrost setting will make the A/C come on. next thing: check EVERYTHING that has a light bulb, turn sigs (all of them), parking lites, brake lites, head lights (high and low), dash lights (evry last one), and dome/map lights. this will give you a better guess as to were to look for the issue.

the multi-funtion switch (turn/head light) is a know issue with these cars. it sounds like you have an issue with power getting drawn from your a/c vent controls when the head lights are on, closing off the heater core to cabin airflow. worst case, you could jam it open with something.

i'm guessing you have a auto tranny, what size motor do you have?...every bit helps.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:52 PM
BallerChick2000

I have a 2.4L 4 cycl. and yes, it's an automatic. In the mornings, I don't have the heat set to anything while it's warming up. When I get in the car I turn on the heat to defrost and then attempt to get warm air in the cabin. It's all good until I turn on the lights. I guess at tax time, I'll get my car a complete check up. Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Crossed wires?