Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Help! - weird electrical gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:12 PM
07whitetiger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! - weird electrical gremlin

I have a 2001 silver stratus with the magnum v6 engine. As of late, I have developed a weird electric problem that me OR my mechanice cannot figure out.

I will drive the car & it runs fine. Once I park the car & try to restart it, it will keep blowing the 20 amp mini fuse which is the starter relay/fuel pump. I will not start back up - it just keeps blowing fuse after fuse. After the car sits for 5-7 days, if I put a new fuse in, it will start right up and will run for maybe 4-5 hours max. Then, it starts the cycle over.

I have had the car towed to the shop twice & my mechanic thinks that something is wrong with me. Both times. he got the car to start. He let it run for a while and it wil start back up. He thinks there might be a loose wire some where but doesn't have a clue to where it is.

Any one ever come across something like this before???

I just need a starting point for troubleshooting - any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 01-16-2009, 04:30 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd bet the fuel pump has a fault when it gets warm it pulls too much current and blows the fuse

Old 01-17-2009, 10:08 AM
07whitetiger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like what is happening - I will see if I can put a meter on it.

Thanks for the input!!

Old 01-17-2009, 02:44 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be the starter/relay as well ... you might have to disconect 1 then check , then disconect the other and check

Quick Reply: Help! - weird electrical gremlin