Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2005 stratus 2.4L spark plugs and wires change

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 08:03 PM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 stratus 2.4L spark plugs and wires change

Well this is my newest car yet, Im in the 2000's now lol, and I wanted to change my plugs and wires since I just got the car. It has a very slight hesitation sometimes at idle, and so I figured I would replace the plugs and wires and go from there.

It has 77000 miles on it.

Well, it isnt as easy as I thought, so it seems. Ive changed plugs on many cars, but Im a little stumped, so I want to ask for help here before I start removing things-

I cant seem to find the plugs. Are they under the metal plate in front of the engine? I guess I could buy a manual, but didnt think i/ need one just to do the plugs...

Thanx, Lance

Last edited by lancejonesmusic; 01-18-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:15 PM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie

Ok, so yeah Ive changed many plugs, but this was a case where my eyes were just not used to this engine lol. I realized the plugs are right on top there and two have a mechanism on them with bolts holding them down.

<----- stratus and newer car noob hehe

Now, is it necessary or ideal to change distributor cap and rotor on this car yet? 77000 miles and it is a 2005 again...

Thanx, Lance

Old 01-18-2009, 09:42 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You're missing a key factor here: Coupe or Sedan. It sounds like you have a coupe, and those two magical 'mechanisms' are called coil packs. When you have coil packs, you dont have a distributor. One coil per two cylinders. If the car is stumbling bad, a coil might need replaced. I had to replace both of mine at a similar mileage. They are ~$100 a piece. Good luck.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:56 PM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie

cool man thanx! Its a very slight stumble. Ill look into getting those maybe in the future.

Yeah it is a coupe, look a lot like yours and it is pearl white as well! Love this thing man! I scored it with 77000 miles and a clean title here in L.A. for 3500!

Im excited about this car. It looks cool and has a sceptre intake in it, sounds cool and runs well. The hesitation, again, is very VERY slight, but I had a honda that was soooo smooth, so I was wondering if these mitsubishi engines run as smooth as honda engines (1996 honda civic hatchback car of the year)

Thanx for the lead on those coil packs. i was actually searching on here about them and then checked my post and you had answered my questions!

Cheers, Lance

Old 01-18-2009, 10:14 PM
john1782
Professional

Originally Posted by pearl01stratcpe
You're missing a key factor here: Coupe or Sedan. It sounds like you have a coupe, and those two magical 'mechanisms' are called coil packs. When you have coil packs, you dont have a distributor. One coil per two cylinders. If the car is stumbling bad, a coil might need replaced. I had to replace both of mine at a similar mileage. They are ~$100 a piece. Good luck.

So does the 02 R/T Coupe have a distributor cap or coil packs?

Thanks

Old 01-18-2009, 11:38 PM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie

Well if your spark plug wires have some mechanism on 2 or more of them that bolts onto the valve cover, those are probably coil packs I would say from what pear01strat says

Old 01-19-2009, 10:37 AM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star

Originally Posted by john1782
So does the 02 R/T Coupe have a distributor cap or coil packs?

Thanks
The R/T 3.0 V6 coupe has a distributor. Its right underneath the intake next to the battery. The 2.4 I4 (SOHC) has coil packs.

Heres and old picture from when I was having issues.
Name:  Photobucektcoils.jpg
Views: 5238
Size:  37.0 KB

Last edited by pearl01stratcpe; 01-19-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:25 AM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie

Well I havent changed my coil packs yet, but the idle got much worse. My idle now is quite rough and it also goes up to about 2k sometimes with a little fluctuation while there, and then eventually will go back down to about 500 to 800 but idling quite rough.

When driving, it runs really good and feels very powerful. It does have a Sceptre Cold air intake on it.

I had it tested for engine codes and none showed up, but the engine service light is on.

I cleaned the Throttle Body with carb cleaner and also removed and cleaned the idle control valve.

Is the idle control valve the same as the Idle control motor?

Im thinking it is the coil packs or one of them or the idle control valve/motor?

I think it is more likely the idle control since it runs great when driving. If a coil pack was bad, I would think it would run rough when driving. Is this a false notion?

Thanx for any leads.

It is going to cost 90 bux for a diagnosis, money I would rather spend on the part I need to replace.

I did disconnect the battery for a while then put it back on and let it run for like 20 minutes but that didnt fix the idle.

Last thing, sorry so long- If the Idle control valve is different then a idle control motor or IAC as Ive seen mentioned, any way I can clean IAC or Idle motor in hopes to resolve the idle issue for free?

Big Thanx, Lance

Last edited by lancejonesmusic; 05-15-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:36 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star

Is your check engine light on? That would really help narrow down the problem.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:21 PM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie

Yes lol I stated in my post that the service engine light is on. Also wut color is your car called? Mine is the same color and I wanna do some touch ups. Is it the magnesium pearl?

Quick Reply: 2005 stratus 2.4L spark plugs and wires change