Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Turbo 2.4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009 | 08:36 PM
on3fierce5tratus
|
Default Turbo 2.4?

Does anyone know where I can find a turbo kit for my naturally aspirated 2.4L DOHC? Some friends and I have decided that we want to turbo my car.

Old 01-29-2009 | 08:40 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star

Originally Posted by on3fierce5tratus
Does anyone know where I can find a turbo kit for my naturally aspirated 2.4L DOHC? Some friends and I have decided that we want to turbo my car.
I think you need to do some serious research.. Its not like you are changing tail lights. There is a lot involved in turboing a car safely.

Old 01-29-2009 | 08:42 PM
on3fierce5tratus
|

I know there is. I was planning on getting a turbo intake manifold and exhaust manifold, replacing all my gaskets, and maybe swapping valves for some that are a little more durable than those in a NA engine.

Old 01-29-2009 | 09:25 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star

I know there is. I was planning on getting a turbo intake manifold and exhaust manifold, replacing all my gaskets, and maybe swapping valves for some that are a little more durable than those in a NA engine.
You have no idea what you are getting into, and its blatantly obvious. What good are gaskets going to do? Are you going to build the engine with stronger pistons? A more aggressive cam? What are "durable" valves? If you really want to look into something like this, pick up this book and read it. http://www.themotorbookstore.com/maximum-boost.html

Also, with 131k miles, that engine is probably whooped enough. If you want it to last at all, keep up with oil changes and regular maintenance, and leave it alone.

Old 01-29-2009 | 09:29 PM
on3fierce5tratus
|

oil's changed every 1500 miles with Mobil 1 Synthetic. I maintain my vehicle on my own, yes, suprising for a 17 year old, but I do know how to properly maintain a vehicle. and seeing how I asked for a turbo KIT, it might point me in the direction of "get new pistons and cams". I'm not completely automotive retarded.

Old 01-29-2009 | 10:45 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star

oil's changed every 1500 miles with Mobil 1 Synthetic. I maintain my vehicle on my own, yes, suprising for a 17 year old, but I do know how to properly maintain a vehicle. and seeing how I asked for a turbo KIT, it might point me in the direction of "get new pistons and cams".
You're a moron if you actually change your oil every 1500 miles lol. Thats a bit excessive. And no, a turbo 'kit' won't give you new pistons and cams, it will give you turbo, exhaust manifold, oil/coolant lines, air routing. Everything but internals, unless of course, you spend 10k. It will add up fast, and I don't see it being worth it.

Use the internet to your advantage and look up your engine on wikipedia and see what other cars used it, the years it can be found, etc. Scan cardomain for same year cars/engines for others who have done it.

Do as you please though.

Old 01-30-2009 | 08:21 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

now now pearl...everyone started somewhere...were not all born knowing everything and driving a 12 second car like you are...

if some friends helped you make the decision, theyd better be looking to foot the bill..its going to get very expensive, very quickly. it would literally be MUCH cheaper for you to go out and buy a turbo car, and youll have better results in the end. turbo kits are typically designed for turbo cars, or cars that are popular to boost..and the stratus isnt popular for anything. the kits ive seen were for the V6 models, and very few kits (for any cars) include items like pistons. also, cams and valves have little to do with making the engine stronger to handle boost. your biggest concerns are the pistons, rings, head gasket, head bolts, etc...items that assist in building compression. valves CAN be an issue, but when boost finds the weak spot in your engine, it is typically one of the items that i mentioned earlier on...when ive seen valves fail, its typically a heat issue or valve-piston interference.

im guessing that you drive a stratus coupe? if it is, the car is mechanically very similar to the eclipses of the same year, and ive seen people take the motor (4g64) and add components from the 4g63 found in the turbo DSMs, as well as the evolution. i used to have a link where a few guys built up a 2002 eclipse 4cyl, and it was a pretty sweet build but it was VERY involved, and expensive. what will greatly increase the cost of a project like this is labor, and it seems that youre not equipped to do this work yourself. things like gaskets and valves wont do you any good, and on an NA motor with 100k+, i wouldnt waste my time boosting it as the engine is on borrowed time as is. also, if you drive a stratus coupe, it makes something like 152hp, and the components of the drivetrain are designed to handle 152hp.

say that you do everything to the engine to make it boost friendly (and pearl wasnt far off...doing it right will likely get you up around 10k, especially if youre depending on someone else to do the labor), and say that youre running 7psi. you MAY gain an extra 70hp (thats a very liberal number), and then your engine will be making around 220hp. you will then find that the other things, like the transmission, the halfshafts, the suspension are not designed to handle that power, so you have to then upgrade those items...and even with 220hp, you have only a little more power than a stock RT, so you can expect to run in the 14s at best (ive seen a 1st gen coupe with a 2.0 and a 65 shot run in the high 14s).

how much did you plan on spending, and what are your goals? too many people think "ill boost it", with no idea of how much of a hassle and high price comes with it.

be honest with what youd like to do and spend with your car, and ill be honest with how realistic your ideas may be. my lightly modded stratus (autostick V6) ran 10.30s in the 8th mile with around 60,000 miles. not fast at all. my near stock turbo AWD DSM ran 9.20s in the 8th mile, with 130,000 miles. i know that a basic supercharger kit for my stratus starts around 5 grand or so...and it MIGHT be as fast as the DSM..the DSM itself was around 2 grand.

also, if you car is an automatic, there is NO point in modding it, as the transmission will always be a huge limiting point.

Old 01-30-2009 | 12:46 PM
gpg
Rookie

Actually, he said it's a DOHC, which means it's not the 4G64 (which is the only Stratus engine that I know anything about.) Unless he did a head swap, but if he did he wouldn't be asking this question. I've been researching turbos and superchargers on this platform for the past year, and it still scares me when I think about actually moving forward with it. It will take alot of time and money to do so. If you like the strat/clipse platform like me, then until you get the funding and research done you can do the cheap, fun things like air intake, exhaust, maybe an ECU tune by LogicGate? It really would be cheaper to just buy a car that is factory turbo'd. You won't have to deal with tuning, boost leak, burnt or dented pistons, sticking waste gates, blown head gaskets, turbo lubrication, ground up transmissions, destroyed brakes, weeks to months of downtime, and all of the other fun things that come with putting a turbocharger on a car that wasn't designed for it. Expect to pay at a minimum of $3k to even attempt to pull it off. Murphy's law says you will probably spend $10,000 (that's 1/10th of a house, 1/3 of a new car, a college education, or plenty of other things that you could buy with that kind of money) All for a few measly HP.

And if you *don't* have the mitsu engine, it's probably going to be even less apt to taking boost without building it. From what people keep telling me to do to my car (because they think that I have *your* engine) it sounds like you could possibly to an SRT-4 swap, but, I have no idea what that entails or if that advice is even applicable to your platform.

Just make sure you do a lot of research, and listen to what BadStratRT and pearl01stratcpe are saying, because they know (better than me) what they are talking about. If you really want to go through with it, just make sure you dedicate yourself to it so you don't end up wasting a lot of money. We're not trying to discourage you, but, few people have done what you want to, and they don't want you to get yourself into something that you don't want to be.

If you try it, good luck, and, take pics! :]

(P.S. BadStratRT, you should set your post up as an auto response to any thread that has 'turbo' in the title..)

Old 01-30-2009 | 01:09 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

i didnt even think about that..thanks for pointing it out.

so are we to guess that this person has a first gen stratus sedan with an I4 then? i cant recall the engine code for that...i think that its three letters..rgb or something...but i believe that it is some variance of the 420a.

pghsebring has a "Sedan 2.4" block, stroked to 2.6 in his 95 coupe. it was not a plug and play job, and it was a TON of work. i know, because i helped put the engine together and put it in the car. his 'turbo kit' is all custom, with a GT35R and a custom rams horn, custom fuel system, etc. hes running crowher cams, eagles rods, and i think that he has wiesco pistons, but i dont recall right now..its been a while since i messed with the car.

now if you are indeed working with a stratus sedan with a 2.4, i can give you a little more info. I also know that pearl's estimate of 10g isnt far off...while pghsebring has a bit more extreme of a build, i know what it cost...

Old 01-30-2009 | 01:10 PM
ratsttam
Captain

He's running a '98 Strat. First Gen.
Only the ES V6 6g73 (95-00) is mitsubishi made. The 2.0 and 2.4 are dodge made engines. The engine code would be either EDZ I4 or EY7 I4. Both varients are SOHC
At 130,000+ mi, this probably isn't the greatest of times to boost the engine, no matter how well maintained it has been. It will be a very expensive project to do right, and a very short lived project if done cheaply.

Last edited by ratsttam; 01-30-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Turbo 2.4?