Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2003 Stratus idle RPMs bog.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 10:00 AM
culthuu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Stratus idle RPMs bog.

I have a 2003 4 door Stratus with the 4 cylinder engine. It has run good for the year I’ve had it but it has developed a puzzling problem. When I stop at a light the engine seems to bog. It doesn’t shut down but you can definitely feel the RPM’ drop momentarily. And when I have the air on it will occasionally die. It always starts back up again. Now twice after I’ve stopped the RPM’s jump. The last time it got up to over 2000 RPM’s before I shut it down. It started up and didn’t cause any more problems. It runs fine and get acceptable mileage. The only other problem is two codes for the emissions control system that crop up from time to time (0456 and 0441). I replaced the gas cap with a new one and I’ve replaced the spark plug wires and plugs themselves but other than checking for bad hoses I’d done nothing else. Anybody out there got any suggestions on where to look for the cause of this problem?

Old 05-23-2009, 11:32 PM
SWEETKITTENLOVE
Default Same problem

I have a 2001 Stratus coupe and it does something similar. At redlights/stopsigns, it will drop down under 1000 rpms and then jump back up and when it gets under 1000 it starts to lurch. When I'm driving it, right about the time I am approaching 2000 rpms it starts to lurch again until I get it over 45 mph/2000 rpms. Then it's smooth sailing. My check engine light came on a while back and I took it to several mechanics. They all said that it's the catalytic converter or maybe an o2 sensor but none of them agree on which converter and which sensor. Since it's going to be so expensive to fix, I haven't yet because I don't know who to believe! I can't afford to replace one thing to find out it's another. Very frustrating.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Luisitto
Default Im too

Now im try adjust the Cam-Crank Sensor Relationships

Quick Reply: 2003 Stratus idle RPMs bog.