Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Replacements for stock struts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 12:28 PM
add|ct
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacements for stock struts?

I have a '99 2.4L that has terrible creaking when going over speed bumbs or dips in the road. Is there any aftermarket struts that work on this car?

I found some on Howell Automotive and was wondering if anyone knows anything about them:

http://www.howellautomotive.com/inde...ROD&ProdID=501

Thanks!

Last edited by add|ct; 06-02-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-12-2009, 03:08 AM
Dajamax
Default Creaking Noise

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT...

KYB shocks and struts are excellent, and work well with just about any make or model that they produce shocks for. I used them on an '00 Ford Taurus that I had before getting the Strat, and they were great.

Regarding the creaking noise, I had the same problem with my '05 sedan (51,000 miles on it) and let me tell you it was a pisser. I'm still get mad everytime I think about it.

Like you, the first thing I thought was causing the problem was the struts and shocks, so I went out and bought a new set for all four wheels (Monroe Sensa-Traks for this car ... $700 installed), but the squeek was still there.

Went to another shop and was told it was the engine mounts that was the problem, so I had them replaced ($750 installed ... they were in fact bad and needed replacement anyway) but the noise was still there.

So I went back to my regular mechanic, he took out the front struts, oiled and greased everything with silicone and graphite, put it all back together, and the noise got worse. Had him go back and clean all the excess grease off, which reduced the noise somewhat, and then we thought it was coming from the front stabilizer bar ball joint connection. Had that replaced ($120), but still had the squeek.

Another mechanic at the shop said it was probably the upper control arm ball joints, since he had had a customer with an Oldsmobile with the same type of creaking noise. So I replaced the upper ball joints ($149), but no ... that didn't do it either.

Next, looking at the OEM diagram of the front suspension and all of its parts, we thought that perhaps the lower retainer backs were not the correct shape, and that the previous owner had incorrect parts installed at some point. So I went to the local Dodge dealer to order new parts. They were very helpful. I asked if this part was ordered/replaced very often on the Stratus explaining my problem with the creaking noise. He replied, "No, not very often, but what we do sell quite frequently is the part called the Shock Bracket". It's the silver mount that is bolted underneath the wheel well and is what the upper part of the strut mounts to. It has two arms that protrude down, and this is what the upper control arm mounts to. Between them are plastic bushings, and it is the bushings that often dry out, crack and then cause the creaking noise. And get this ... you can't buy or replace just the bushings because they are an integral part of the Shock Bracket! You have to replace the brackets, and the OEM prices are $230 for the RF, and $200 for the LF. Add about two hours labor to that, plus tax, and it wound up costing me $640 to get them replaced.

The good news is, that took care of the problem. The car drives solid and quiet as new. The bad news is that it took me over six months to get to the cause of the problem, and cost me $2,359 to get there!

Last edited by Dajamax; 06-12-2009 at 03:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:15 PM
add|ct
Rookie

So, I just need to verify that replacing the shock bracket will fix this problem?

Old 08-20-2009, 07:51 PM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie

I have the squeaks too.
I like my stock dodge rims, so Im going to put the eibach lowering kit on with kyb shocks and will replace those shock brackets as well-

What kyb shocks are the best for handling and comfort? I dont want it to feel like a sports car, but I dont want it to bounce around and float like a cadilac. I want it to feel pretty smooth but not squicshy on these crazy los angeles highways-

Old 08-20-2009, 08:18 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GR2's are NOT the best on lowering springs ... These are basically upgraded stockers ...
I'd recomend the AGX's to go with te lowering springs

Old 08-21-2009, 01:04 PM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie

Ok so what if I go with the Eibach Sportsline springs and the KYB AGX struts.
Will this combo handle and feel good, and also last a long time?

Old 08-21-2009, 05:13 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lancejonesmusic
Ok so what if I go with the Eibach Sportsline springs and the KYB AGX struts.
Will this combo handle and feel good, and also last a long time?
I have Sportlines and KYB Gr-2s... If i did it again i would opt for the AGX's, but the GR-2s still feel great even after 2 years.

You wont get a more comfortable ride than what comes stock on the car... The springs and struts will stiffen the ride up, but the Stratus Coupe is so heavy ride comfort isnt comprmised a whole lot. Handles corners MUCH better too.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:28 AM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie

I thnk ill like a tighter stiffer ride(that sounds too wrong) but really, I think maybe a strut is bad or maybe the alignment cuz it wobbles on the highway too much for my taste when I hit dips and stuff- ill like it lower and sportier. I like how yours lookks that low-

I'm gonna go agx and sportline for sure in like 3 months. That tranny and cluutch replacement costed me about a grand which was a good deal but still gonna wait a liil bit then get suspension hooked up

Old 08-22-2009, 07:47 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AGX's are ADJUSTABLE so you can adjust it to your liking ...
My GR2's barely lasted 3 months before they were leaking , of course KYB wouldn't warranty them due to the lowering springs

Old 08-23-2009, 02:23 PM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie

That will be nice to be able to adjust them, yes I did notice that when I looked them up.

Since the strut bracket is the noisemaker creaking problem I want to replace mine when I do the upgrade.

Again, does kyb make the equivalent of the strut bracket oem part?

If so, can somebody put a link here so I know what to get?

Thanx again-

Quick Reply: Replacements for stock struts?