Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

transmission rebuild 2005 stratus 2.4l manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:33 PM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission rebuild 2005 stratus 2.4l manual

My clutch went out and I couldnt shift unless I drove without a clutch(very bad lol)

Anyways, the shop said my tranny leaked oil on the clutch and shouldbe rebuilt. Well, I do want to rebuild the tranny while it is out or replace it with a rebuilt one, either way with a good warranty.

Anybody have a lead on a good place to get mine rebuilt or to buy a rebuilt one with a good warranty?

Im in Los Angeles-
2005 Dodge Stratus Coupe 2.4L manual 5 speed

Thanx, Lance

Old 08-08-2009, 05:25 PM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie

Damn this forum is dead haha no love?

Old 08-09-2009, 01:43 AM
ratsttam
Captain

We're lively here... sometimes. Other times, we just don't have an answer to give...

Word of mouth when looking for a transmission repair shop goes a long way. In PA where I'm at, I've heard stories of the chain transmission shops diagnosing an issue, but refusing to put it back unless you do the repair they recommend, rather than putting it back in the same damaged state it was brought in with. There is also a small independent shop in the town my parents live in, that does wonderful work, although turn around time is less than desirable (weeks... but they warrant the work). Poke around, a lot of "city search" type sites allow people to leave comments about places, which can contain valuable information. As far as a used/warranted one, ask the repair shop who they get theirs from. My old mechanic would warrant parts from one junkyard because he dealt with them so much they would work with him if something was wrong.

I know this info dosen't really answer your question, but I hope it can put you in the right direction to finding your answer.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:07 PM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie

Much obliged thanx!

Old 08-09-2009, 05:51 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

leaked oil on the clutch and needs rebuilt?... sounds like crap to me. Are you sure your slave cylinder didnt die on you? Thats what happened to mine (No pedal pressure) and it was less than $100 to fix. Even if your clutch needed replaced it wouldnt be a full rebuild.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:34 PM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie

I agree that's why I am having it towed to my place and I'm bringing the tranny in to a shop here to just be checked out while it is already out. I got the whole clutch set exedy brand for 130- im having that put in after the tranny is checked. I may put it back together myself, thinking bout it lol.

The tranny ran fine until the lcutch went out so I think maybe the slave as well, and I heard pieces of clutch so I'm sure clutch job is needed... I'm gonna check things out and go from there... I also think they are trying to rip me off ; )

Old 08-09-2009, 08:08 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by pearl01stratcpe
leaked oil on the clutch and needs rebuilt?... sounds like crap to me. Are you sure your slave cylinder didn't die on you? That's what happened to mine (No pedal pressure) and it was less than $100 to fix. Even if your clutch needed replaced it wouldn't be a full rebuild.
come to think of it, sounds like the symptoms I had when a hydraulic hose went on my cavalier... shifted with the car off and had to pop start it... pearl is onto something, oil on the clutch would keep it from grabbing, not releasing. Although granted, I didn't have any weird noises, so definitely check your clutch out. My attempts to drive w/out clutching I'm sure had something to do with the torn up Synchro.

I guess we'll add this trans shop on the list of "don't go here" shops.

Last edited by ratsttam; 08-09-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:33 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star

Putting a transmission in isnt fun lol. I put a motor in an Eclipse earlier this year, and we bolted the motor and trans together then put both in. We had a transmission issue after and had to pull it back out, but left the engine in. Boy what a PITA installation was haha. Have fun

It does sound like the transmission shop was trying to rip you off. If you were still able to drive it and shift it without the clutch (Dont do this your synchros will go bad then you WILL need a rebuild), then I'd say you had a 'simple' clutch problem.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:48 PM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie

Well turns out the bell housing is craked and oil is leaking on the clutch. Anyone have a lead on a low miles used tranny for 2005 dodge stratus 5 speed 2.4l? I am also willing to use a low mileage eclipse tranny that fits too. Thanx, lance

Old 08-11-2009, 05:33 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star

I have an Eclipse 4cyl auto trans ... It has a cracked bell housing also though.

Quick Reply: transmission rebuild 2005 stratus 2.4l manual