Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

the Fuse 8 Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 03:01 AM
BDaddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the Fuse 8 Mystery

Girlfriend pulled into her apartment parking lot, cut off her 99 Stratus, and then --for reasons unknown-- tried to restart the car. But nothing --no click, no nothing. Worked our way through the fuses to the 20 amp ignition/start fuse (the #8) and discovered it to be blown. Replaced it --pow! Blown again. Several more times. Cleaned the grounds as I could find them. Crawled under and examined the starter connections --nothing corroded. Replaced the 30 amp relays for the ignition and the ASD. Replaced fuse 8 again. Didn't pop this time, but no activity from starter land. Bumped the solonoid with a direct wire to battery positive. Battery tests good.

I hate electronic modules. I think the problem is hiding in the solid states somewhere beyond the reach of my multimeter and experience.

Help. Any suggestions would be most welcome. I wonder about the PDM and the cam sensor, but replacing the more expensive parts is more than I want to get into.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:51 AM
ratsttam
Captain

It'll help to know what engine/trim your girls got.
SE or ES 2.0, 2.4, 2.5v6

You bumped the starter with a direct wire, did it actually start the car?
I doubt the cam sensor would cause the car to blow a fuse, usually the cam sensor will just prevent it from starting up properly, but it should still crank.

Did you "replace", or just swap the starter and ASD relays with each other? If the starter relay is faulty, it could blow the fuse, if you swap it with the ASD, (now the asd is bad, starter relay good), that could be the issue. It didn't blow the fuse, but the relay didn't kick over to allow the starter to get power...

Old 08-14-2009, 03:48 PM
HearseNurse

Could be the starter locked up. Trying to start a frozen starter could pull more than the 20 amps and blow the fuse. Maybe time for a new starter. I agree with ratsttam to swap relays first. I always swap my ASD relays with my Hi/Lo fan relays. The car can start without the fans. All the relays are the same and it's a quick diagnostic. If you swap your starter relay with the Hi/Lo fan relays and the car still doesn't start, then it's time to pull the starter.
If you pull the starter, don't let the parts store bench test it and tell you it's good. I have had starters bench test "good" but not be strong enough to turn the motor.
Marty

Quick Reply: the Fuse 8 Mystery