Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

99 Stratus doesn't run right with moisture

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 03:05 AM
hfsaudarg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Stratus doesn't run right with moisture

I have a 99 Dodge Stratus I bought a year and a half ago. A few months after I got it, it started acting up. Once every couple months after sitting idle at a stop sign I would press the gas and my car would not go. I would take my foot off and press it again and it would take right off. Again this only happened every once in a blue moon. Usually after my car sat for a few days. I took it to the mechanic numerous times for them to tell me there is nothing wrong with it. Sometime since the beginning of the year it got to the point where it was an everyday thing. My car sat for two weeks and when I returned from my business trip it would not start. While taking a look at things I seen that my wires and plugs had oil all over them. I replaced the PVC valve as told. The oil dried up some but not completely and this did not fix the problem. Every time it would rain and every time it was hot and humid (anytime there was moisture) my car would not run right at all. While sitting idle it would feel and sound like it was missing a beat every so often. It would run for a little while and then about 20 minutes or so afterwards, especially if I shut it off and restarted it, it would run normal until it rained again. Then my wires started popping off. I was told my cataletic converter was clogged. We replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, cataletic converter, wires, plugs, distributor cap and rotor and nothing has changed. My check engine light is not coming on and there are no codes stored in the computer. It's not humid out anymore so for the past week the car has run normal. It has rained the past three days and my car has sat in the driveway. When trying to start it tonight it turned over and tried to catch but would not start. After trying for about half an hour it finally started which in my opinion whatever was wet dried out. I let it idle in the driveway and it was running poorly. It sounded like it wasn't running on all its cylinders almost like it was very silently misfiring. I had a lot of steam coming out of my exhaust, like you would see when its cold or just rained and you start your car. I was told to take the hose out of the PVC valve and my car was idling around 1000 RPMs but it was running normal. No more steam, no more misfiring. I shut the car off and put the hose back on the PVC valve, started it back up and it ran completely fine at the normal idle. I have invested so much money into this and every mechanic I have talked to or taken this to cannot figure out what's going on. Does anyone have any advice?

Quick Reply: 99 Stratus doesn't run right with moisture