Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Having some Accessories on Make Engine stumble

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Mavericksxt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having some Accessories on Make Engine stumble

Hey guys,

I have a 2004 dodge stratus sxt coupe. It has 96k on it currently. Ok so i was driving down the highway and all of a sudden the car acted like it was running out of gas or something like that. It fell flat on its face. After pulling over, looked thing through and could see anything wrong. I turned it off and then restarted it, and it restarted just fine, but then i turned on the heat and it made the car do the same thing. Long story short i got the car home, saw that one of the coil packs was smoking and the car would not even run at all. I replaced the one coil and started right up. Now a few days later its doing the same thing but no smoke out of the other coil. Any time, i have the lights on and the heater or rear defrost it throughs the Code, random multiple missfire and that car falls flat on its face again. Could this be the other coil pack going out as well.

thanks in advance!

Old 11-04-2009, 04:28 AM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Usually when when goes out, the other follows. Same thing happened to me. It pings and stumbles like crazy. When was the last time you replaced spark plugs? After i replaced both coils I put new platinum plugs in, and 3 months later another one died. I read somewhere that platinum plugs and the coil packs didnt get along. I then bought the cheapest regular plugs I could find, and havent had any problems for almost 3 years. It wouldnt hurt to change the two spark plug wires either.

Quick Reply: Having some Accessories on Make Engine stumble