Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

1. Can the 2.7 handle turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:52 AM
circumventor
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make it stick i kno they are around cuz my buddy got one from a junk auction and hes gonna put the trans in a dynasty with a 3.3. thats gonna work cuz the bellhousings are the same and the flywheel will fit the 3.3 crank. he figgures he needs to do a lot of mods for the cluch pedel and some working on the floor for the sifter. if he ever gets it don i'll se about pics

Old 01-17-2010, 01:01 PM
UhhWhereAmEYE

"See thats the thing. Everyone builds Honda, its annoying. If I wanted to be like everyone else that'd be great. But WTF is the point then. Really why do something already done?"
I'm right there with you, smoke! i'm so tired of seeing the same cars modified over and over... and OVER. that's why the strat turbo is such a great idea. people compliment me on EVERY single mod i do to my strat. reason: because they haven't seen it before. when i get in my ride, i feel like i'm driving a 1 of a kind. that's what customization and personalization is all about. not doin the same thing a million people have already done. --yaaawn-- BORING!!!!

Old 01-17-2010, 06:35 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ratsttam
I only mentioned that because of an engine designed and tested for a turbo, and having it's lifespan dramatically cut down by boosting it. For what it's worth, the car looked like crap for the longest time, but was fast as hell. The goal was track timeslips, not style or originality.
You are obviously afraid of blowing up your only vehicle, and that's quite understandable! I would love to see someone successfully boost a strat 2.7. Maybe YOU are the one to do it. Do something that has not been done
Would it be out of line to suggest again that you pick up a "daily driver" first, so that if something does go wrong, you are still able to get around until the strat is driveable again?
Wasn't shooting the daily driver theory. I'm just looking for more outta it while keeping streetable. Friend of mines been drivin his stock motor cavalier on 10 lbs for 3 yrs and 95k now. Only prob on that has been cv axles and now with 235k on the car the trans is dumping out.

I realize its far from the same car, but that had nothing done besides a homemade turbo kit. He installed it at 140k hoping to blow it. 3 years later motor is still running. No Problems.

As long as boost is kept low and everything gets retuned it shouldn't hinder the lifespan any. Guess I just gotta try it and see how it works.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:50 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by UhhWhereAmEYE
"See thats the thing. Everyone builds Honda, its annoying. If I wanted to be like everyone else that'd be great. But WTF is the point then. Really why do something already done?"
I'm right there with you, smoke! i'm so tired of seeing the same cars modified over and over... and OVER. that's why the strat turbo is such a great idea. people compliment me on EVERY single mod i do to my strat. reason: because they haven't seen it before. when i get in my ride, i feel like i'm driving a 1 of a kind. that's what customization and personalization is all about. not doin the same thing a million people have already done. --yaaawn-- BORING!!!!
Thanks, someone who really understands what it means to branch out. I always have people asking what it is (Mine is totally debadged) and complementing on how nice it looks and sounds.

The 2.7 strat is fast enough in stock form to put up a fight against much more popular tuner cars. People (including some on this site) don't seem to have much respect for the 2.7 sedans. Sure they have the illusive oiling problem, but you can't deny the performance advantage.

The following users liked this post:
Mikey42098 (11-11-2023)
Old 01-17-2010, 07:19 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Good instance:
~00 Eclipse GT V6 5 speed (toasted)
-Random wannabe
~06 Saab 9-3 turbo 5 speed (toasted)
-This one was stock. It was a friend of a friend's car
~B16 Vtec swapped 93 civic hatch 5 speed (not a chance)
-My buddy Tim's car
~GSR swapped 95 Integra sedan 5 speed (close but no)
-Dude ended up trashing Tim's car later that night. He thought Tim lied about my Strat being stock
~Infinity G35 sedan (ya this one took me)
-Also stock, also AT. Stratus got waxed here.
No surprise there though.
~92 Integra LS 5 speed (close but just couldn't get by me)
-This one was my buddy's car. CAI, Skunk2 Intake manifold, Skunk2 Cams and Cam gears, DC Sports 4-1 Header, full exhaust, ACT street clutch and Pro Lite Flywheel.
-My 06 2.7 at the time was CAI and Chip.

If I had all that tuning in mine and it'd be nowhere near close. But being a Honda guy he of course goes "I almost had you!" and I say "Alright let me do all your mods on my car then we'll race again."
Quick way to shut up an unapprietiative Honda guy.
I'm sorry I just Hate Honda. Most Honda people are posers (There are a few that still get my respect though). My buddy John's LS was one. He had a lot in it, but kept it clean.

The following users liked this post:
ffreddy03 (08-23-2022)
Old 01-17-2010, 07:40 PM
UhhWhereAmEYE

lol

chip? wut kinda chip? i can't find any hp increasers....

Old 01-17-2010, 07:54 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by UhhWhereAmEYE
lol

chip? wut kinda chip? i can't find any hp increasers....
JET ECU Reflash.
CAI is custom fab
muffler is deleted and straight piped with a chrome tip. (its very suttle looking)
Crower will do internals. also regrind cams.
That's all i got but it performs well and sounds awesome.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:25 PM
DCypherThis13

Port and polish it. That will get you nearly the same gains as a turbo and cost about the same. Engine background can make or break a tune. Allow the engine to breath better.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:46 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by DCypherThis13
Port and polish it. That will get you nearly the same gains as a turbo and cost about the same. Engine background can make or break a tune. Allow the engine to breath better.
Isn't the big thing spiral boring now?

Port Polish Cam regrind and Gears would prolly come first.

What kind of power does just the PP pull outta the 2.7?

With my buddy's help and peoples spare parts i think i can pull it off for under $1000. I just wanna run low boost. Looking to pull about 250-275. If a can get that w/o a turbo and w/o building the bottom end it would be ideal cause i prefer all motor. Turbo just seems easier in this case.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:44 AM
DCypherThis13

I don't know exactly what kind of increases you could expect from polishing it, but there will be noticeable differences. A few years ago, a friend of mine bought a 1999 Honda Civic. Junkyard special, he bought an engine, B16a and a matching trans. Before he did alot of work on it, he drove it for about 6 months. He liked the car and all that jazz, but he wanted more power. After researching all of the options, turbo, sc, bigger engine, port polish, bottom end, etc. He decided to go with an all motor setup. Before tearing it down, he ran it on a dyno. Stock was 105hp and torque was 75ft-lbs. After all of the work, port polish and thinner head gasket(increased compression) the numbers were 161hp and 118ft-lbs. Of course this is a very small engine, but he did hit 100hp per liter. He's been driving it for about 2 years now and he hasn't had a single problem.

Just so you know, car manufacturers don't put a whole lot of time into the smoothness of airflow into and out of an engine. That's where you can find lots of power pretty easily. Being that your car is a daily driver, you're probably safe doing a port polish and installing a thinner head gasket....if there's one out there of your engine.

Quick Reply: 1. Can the 2.7 handle turbo?