Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

A Couple of Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:05 AM
mysteryous
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Couple of Problems

I have an 05 Stratus Sedan with the 2.4L interference engine (X vin). It's coming on 90K miles and I'm going to change the oil when it gets there(Mobil 1 and it will be a 5K change with K&N oil filter). The timing belt, thermostat, and water pump were changed at 80k with Dayco, Superstat, and ACS parts respectively. At 85k, I replaced the plugs with NGK Iridiums.

My problem is that when I crank the car, the belt squeals until I let it idle for a minute, and it sounds like the exhaust is off a little and I can feel the engine shudder, but not violently. I have one of those cone K&N air filters, it this matters. Also when I am stopped, the steering wheel slightly vibrates, but not as bad as before I had a 4 wheel alignment. Recently, today as I drove at night, I noticed that my new lights were slightly flickering, along with the dash and radio. I turned on the inside light and it flickers as well. Also at night, during the first complete stop I make, the lights dim, then come back on.

So, what is up with my Stratus? Did I get a faulty install? Do I need a coil pack and new wires?
The car drives ok and shifts without a problem. I'm going to brush and clean the battery today, as well as change the side terminal connectors to see if that helps with the lighting problem. Please take note that I take care of my car and that all regular maintenance is performed. I hope I provided enough info to make a good diagnostic. Oh, and i do NOT have any check engine codes. Any help would be highly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:41 AM
franchisco7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well one of my friends cars had the same problem of all of the electrics flickering and dimming. We figured out that it was a bad electrical connection. We spent a long time checking all of the wire leads and it ended up being the one that went to alternator. Our problem was happening only when he would accelerate which explains why it would be the alternator cable. We replaced that and didnt have any more problems. I would suggest checking all of your power leads and making sure they are tight and no breeaks in the line.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: A Couple of Problems