Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Sputter, random sputter, and low pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:13 PM
ADL510
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputter, random sputter, and low pressure?

So, I'm not too mechanically inclined and was wondering if any of the fellow DF members could help me here. I have a 05' Stratus Sedan with 91k Miles, and bought this car from an auction about a year and a half ago with 82k Miles on it, and ever since I owned it, I changed the oil every 5,000 miles, and plan on doing the 90k maintenance check as soon as I figure this out.

I have no modifications to the car (yet), and I've been getting check engine codes all day long. The first I had was P440, which is an EVAP leak from what I've read, and then it decided to go away. First off, when I fill gas SOMETIMES it disappears, then the CEL comes on again. Now I took it to the Dodge Dealer to have them check it out, and they said since I drove 4 trips, 2 trips were bad, it was nothing to worry about and reset it, but recently when going up hills (even small hills or very little elevation) the car would sputter, and sometimes on flat ground when it initiates going up hill, and it even died on me on the freeway which scares me frankly. Now the CEL reads P0129 (from turning the key on and off 3 times), which is apparently "Barometric Pressure too low, by either a MAP sensor" and I've read done some research on it that it could be either to replace:

Fuel Filter/Pump
MAP Sensor

and in addition, when the car shifts to third gear (automatic) it's at 2k rpm, and even when im pressing the gas pedal the RPMS drop to about 1500rpm as if I wasn't even pressing the gas pedal at all. The guy at the dodge dealership told me to floor it to reset the map sensor? I'm not sure if he was BSing me because it was about time to close...

what would be the best way to go about this and the least expensive to start? I'm just irritated at the fact that sometimes the car runs fine, and sometimes it feels like theres no power and that orange light of death is bothering the heck out of me. Thanks

Old 04-16-2010, 02:17 PM
castlenut
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I would I say if your not too mechanically inclined I would start with the map sensor. You could probably do this one yourself with a basic set of tools. Its located on the intake manifold. I'm not sure on a 05 but its probably close to the radiator. Problem is map sensors usually go for 80-100 bucks but it may just do the trick. The fuel pump is an entirely different story. I'm guessing you could get one for 100-150 bucks but its the installation thats a pain in the hole. You might want to leave that for some one who has a bit more experience. Let us know how you make out....

Last edited by castlenut; 04-16-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:39 PM
ADL510
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just went to a mechanic next door to my work that my boss knows and I just did an oil change and spark plug change the acceleration seems better but nothing significant just a tad smoother, and he told me that it could possibly be the map sensor. The only thing now though is if I don't intend on driving on inclines should I still replace it?

He reset the check engine light I had a P0456 for possible evap leak and P0129 as described

Old 04-17-2010, 02:09 PM
castlenut
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a PO456 and went to pep boys and brought a new gas cap, didn't do the trick. I went to the dealer and brought a new gas cap and that did the trick! Go to dealer for gas cap... I dont know what your money situation is but I would buy the map sensor and a cheap code reader. Change the map sensor yourself very easy - unplug it, unbolt it pop the new one in reset the the code.. One more thing. When you fuel up. Turn off your car. If you fuel up with gas cap off and engine running that will throw the PO456. Let us know I'm at my girls house painting lol!...

Quick Reply: Sputter, random sputter, and low pressure?