Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2001 stratus rt axle seal HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:03 PM
shadowspiyre99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 stratus rt axle seal HELP

im going to be possibly getting a 01 rt tomm, the guy im buying it from told me its leaking fluid bad from the axle seal im not sure what that means in terms of fixing, would i be able to drive the car about 50 miles to my garage and how hard would it be to fix myself......or should i just forget the car all together

Old 04-29-2010, 10:24 AM
franchisco7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well what is happening is the lubrication fluid for the axle line is leaking out because of the seal. That means that if most of it has leaked out already which is what it sounds like you will have metal rubbing on metal which could cause some serious internal damage to the axle. You could try driving it, but it is a risk. The fix depending on the exact location of the seal could be dificult because it would require removing a fair bit of the rest of the axle assembly such as wheel, brakes, etc. My recomendation would be to have a mechanic come take a look at it before you buy it, to give you an estimate and what type of work it will require.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: 2001 stratus rt axle seal HELP