Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Broke Timing belt, replaced, but have questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:56 PM
Burnz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Broke Timing belt, replaced, but have questions

Car is a 2001 2.4 Sedan. Timing belt broke at idle at a stop sign. I'm trying to repair this car for my GF's 16 yr old daughter. I have replaced the belt, and after checking the timing marks about 5 times before putting it back together it appears they all kept on lining up.

I put most of the car back together today (after 2 months/ankle sugery) motor mounts still off & the front tire, jumped started the car and it fired right up. The problem I am having is it does have a rough idle, also when I give it gas, it will rev right up to 3,200-3,500 rpm but it act like the car has a rev-limiter set for that rpm. It will not rev past 3.2-3.5 rpm in park. Is that normal for this car? I'm doubting it is but I can't find any info at all about the rev problem.

I also think the cars battery is dead so I will be replacing that next weekend. When the car stalled itself out, it wouldn't start back up on its own power.

Thanks in Advanced for any help with the rev question or idle advice.. I'm dreading pulling this thing apart again... I can't see how to get the timing marks any closer.

Tom

Old 06-28-2010, 07:56 AM
ratsttam
Captain

Rev limited in park. If you can safely jack up the wheels and rev it in D, it should go up into the 6k range.

There can be many causes of a rough running engine, especially if it's been sitting for a while. Has it thrown any codes that can help us narrow it down with?

Old 06-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Burnz

So glad to hear about the rev limiter in P.
No codes yet. Once I get it all back together and drive it around a bit I'll try trouble shooting at that point. I'm really hoping that the timing is on point.
Thanks again for the quick advice.
Tom

Old 07-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Burnz

Well after getting everything back together today and the motor hooked to the motor mounts, somehow it looks like I got the cam gears timing off about 6 teeth. I could have sworn once I finally was able to get the timing belt over the new tensioner, that the cam gears were only off about a 1/2 a tooth, so I don't know how I went wrong there once the install was complete

So tomorrow, I pull everything back apart and pray I can put it back together in one day and in correct time and that I have a nice smooth, steady idle... Will post back the results.

Still need help to know if there is a nut that goes on the front motor mount through bolt..

Quick Reply: Broke Timing belt, replaced, but have questions