Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Engine hesitating

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:24 PM
phreeck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine hesitating

I've seen several threads with problems similar to mine but nothing that sounds like an exact replicate or a solid fix for the issue.

I have a 2.5L 1995 Stratus ES. It has 220,00+ miles on it. I have owned it for 3 years and have put the last 30,000+ miles on it myself. It is a wonderful car, good condition in and out, it was a city car and has a full log of past repairs. It is recently recovering from a bad water pump and I had to drive the spare car until if was fixed. In the past, we have replaced the distributer and distributer cap. While I know *******ly nothing about cars, I have been test driving the car for weeks now trying to see if this issue is temporary...

Now to the problem. So, the car runs great and everything seems fine but when it idles the engine likes to rumble(whole car vibrates, you can feel when it does this sitting in the car) and sputter. While it does this, if I hit the gas too hard, the sputtering increases and will shut off if I don't let off the gas and re-apply it. In the past it only happened when idling or coasting, but recently it seems like it wants to do this if I maintain a steady speed (it did that today when I took it out earlier for a drive). If we let the car run long enough without gassing it, it seems to work the problem out temporarily.

From reading other sources it sounds like this could be a problem with certain sensors, leaking tubes or the like. I, personally, have no experience with cars and am basically illiterate when it comes to that stuff (I know enough to check the oil and other fluids) but my dad has been trouble shooting different solutions to see if we can figure it out. I also have my cousin (legitimate mechanic) coming over at the end of the week to see if he can figure it out.

Anyone have a solid answer as to what could be plaguing my car? Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Engine hesitating