Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Help pulling engine 2.4dohc 99

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:45 PM
Wombatsxt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help pulling engine 2.4dohc 99

Hello firstoff
Im in the middle of trying to pull the engine out of my 99 dodge stratus 2.4l dohc after blowing it.
I have the donor engine, same thing, sitting alongside. Well I cant get the bad engine out. My friend and I have been at it for 3 weeks now. If its not done within 3 more weeks they stay with the house im moving out of.
So long story short, the engine is stuck, and we cant get the CV axles out or the transaxle off the engine. It doesnt matter if the tranny goes with the engines, just whatever is easiest. but neither will budge.
Thank you for any help and/or advice.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:50 PM
sapporo
Banned

explain how you are trying to remove them. i never had a problem using a big pry bar or a large punch and an BFH to knock them out of the trans.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:19 AM
Wombatsxt

Ohh okay.
Well im trying to just pull. Its parked in a drive way so i dont know of any way i could hook an kind of pullys up to it.
also i cant get the 1.25" nut off the pasenger side cv at the wheel. when standing on brakes with everything attached it slipped the brakes. my friend held the prybar inbetween the lugs & ground and broke the bar.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:13 PM
sapporo
Banned

you need to get the nuts off first before you start trying to pull the axle out of the trans.

I use a punch to hold the rotor from turning by inserting the punch into the cooling fins of the rotor and letting the punch rest against the brake caliper mount.

these nuts are torqued to 180ftlbs and with heat cycling and corrosion, it can take 1000+ft lbs to get them broke loose. use a quality 1/2" breaker bar, quality 1¼" socket a long pipe and you'll break it loose. at worst, you may need to use a propane torch on the nut (this may or may not damage the bearing).

once you get the outer joints out of the spindle, then you can remove them from the transmission

Old 09-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Wombatsxt

Oohh alright whoa. Well the driver @ wheel is done. We got a good breaker with good socket. Didn't think about extending it though I will try that an the fin caliber thing and hopefully itl go. That's awesome.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:55 PM
kiwicowboy
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the right length of "cheater bar" you can lift the worl.......

Quick Reply: Help pulling engine 2.4dohc 99