Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

A/C Compressor Went, questions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:32 PM
mthwgrn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Compressor Went, questions!

Hello,

I was on my way back from CT to ME today and the A/C clutch went, I found this out because I was driving 70 on the highway and started to smell this burning rubber/a smell I never smelt before! I pulled over and the compressor was smoking but was still spinning. It looked as if the clutch had pushed out of it about 3 mm. I let it cool and drove as I had my daughter (5 months) and wife with me and the last thing I wanted was to be stuck in the sun on 495.

Obviously as I drove the "scraping" noise got louder, the burning smell would come and go and by the time I got home it was real loud. I start it now and you can hear just the a/c compressor scraping noise.

What I wanted to know is if the compressor goes and I continued to drive (it still spins, the spindle that is) could it have cause any other issues? The car drove like it did before it just had that scraping noise and the burning smell. The smoke was coming from behind the A/C clutch (inside the compressor) and everything else seemed fine.

I want to replace the A/C compressor, there is no oil in the antifreeze and no antifreeze in the oil. The car seems find other then the compressor. Just the noise got louder and louder as I kept driving could I have messed anything else up? If so does anyone know what? Keep in mind the spindle kept spinning it didn't seize. Thank you very much!

Old 09-12-2010, 07:23 AM
mthwgrn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fixed it. Replaced the compressor and the car runs great. It's at 180K now, still running strong.

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor Went, questions!