Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Question about belt tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 01:02 PM
mthwgrn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about belt tensioner

Hello,

I need to replace my A/C compressor and I have no idea how to relieve the tension on the belt. Usually, with other makes and models the tensioner is right at the top and it's really easy.

I have a 2000 Stratus 2.4L dohc 4 cyl.

Can anyone let me know how to relieve the tension on the belt. Replacing the part is very easy from what I have read but finding the tensioner is the hard part. I would like to change the part without having to remove the A/C components as I have heard replacing the A/C compressor is easiest to replace under neath!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'll pay for the advice, lol

Regards,
Matt

Old 09-12-2010, 07:22 AM
mthwgrn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured this one out myself. If you have to loosen the tension on your Serpentine belt (the larger of the two) you have to do it by simply using the alternator. No special tools required just a 15mm and 13mm wrench.

It's very self explanatory, You just loosen the two 15 mm bolts just a bit. Then you either loosen (to loosen the belt) or tighten (to tighten the belt) the 13 mm bolt. Very convenient.

Quick Reply: Question about belt tensioner