Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Timing Belt for an 05 Stratus SXT...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010 | 11:11 AM
castlenut
Professional

MollyMcPirate no in theory you could just slap on that belt and go! If you had more cash to spare though the timing belt kit comes with those parts and when you work so hard to get at the belt its a good idea while your in there to replace them thats all. Let us know. Don't be discouraged! If your mechanic needs help. Tell him to read prior posts on timing belt changes here! Good luck let us know!

Old 11-15-2010 | 03:02 PM
MollyMcPirate
|

Lol, well now I'm not discouraged. But, I think he's getting there. He's never worked on a Dodge before and he's frustrated with all the special tools you need to do anything. I did buy the book for my car and he does have it. I will definitely tell him if he needs anything to check the forum.

Old 11-17-2010 | 10:58 PM
MollyMcPirate
|

So, I've just been told 3 out of 4 of the valves are bent. YaY me..

Old 11-18-2010 | 11:38 AM
MollyMcPirate
|

Someone told me with the car being an '05, I should be able to replace the valves or something instead of replacing the motor.. The guy that's had my car can't do anymore than he has. So, regardless it's going to the shop. Any suggestions on what I can/ should do here?

Old 11-19-2010 | 03:18 PM
castlenut
Professional

Molly here is where I have problem. I believe your engine is a non-interference engine. Which means in theory you should have had no damage. Maybe someone else here can answer that for sure? I don't get it. I guess he took the top of your engine off to look at the valves? Have you seen the car? Did he even put the belt on? Let us know...

Old 11-19-2010 | 06:22 PM
MollyMcPirate
|

He put the new belt on and did a compression test. Says 3 out of 4 valves are bent. I haven't seen my car in a month. I'm about 2 days from getting a new motor and having it put in. Please tell me you don't think I'm wasting money.

Old 11-20-2010 | 08:36 PM
castlenut
Professional

Molly I would have someone else look at it. I think you have same engine as I do and I broke two belts on that engine and it still runs like a champ. That's why I can't believe you have valve damage. The first belt I broke was the original belt the second belt I broke was the replacement after a bad install on my part. But like I said after I got the timing right the thing started rite up with no problem. Lots of money and time in new engines. I just don't know. I would get a second opinion. Don't rush in and get new engine. New engine installs bring new unforeseen problems. Take a minute to think of a plan. What about another shop that will tow you for free? Good Luck and let us know...

Old 11-23-2010 | 03:25 PM
castlenut
Professional

MollyMcPirate how are you making out?

Old 11-24-2010 | 08:56 PM
dolittle
Veteran

The 2.4 l dodge engine is a interference engine. Most of the time the water pump has seized and the timing belt breaks.

The 2.4 Liter (148 cu. in.) in-line is a double over head camshaft with hydraulic lifters and four valve per cylinder design. The engine is free-wheeling; meaning it has provisions for piston-to-valve clearance. However valve-to-valve interference can occur, if camshaft are rotated independently.

"Please tell me you don't think I'm wasting money."

Depends on what you have to pay for the new engine and what kind of shape the car is in. You could just get new or rebuilt head.
Good luck

Last edited by dolittle; 11-24-2010 at 09:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt for an 05 Stratus SXT...