Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Dealerships says NO! on PCM flash. True? False?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010 | 12:26 PM
FaceFaceMan
|
Question Dealerships says NO! on PCM flash. True? False?

Hello all. New member here. I'll get right to the point.

95 Stratus 2.4

Turns over strong, No start.

Checked all fuses, relays (including ASD). All check good.
Checked for spark with HEI tester. Nothing.
Checked signal at coil. Nothing.
Checked the signal from the Cam Sensor. Should be 8 volts (with key on) coming from PCM, nothing.

Continuity check on all wires checked perfect.
Verified all ground wires were good as well.

Logic/experience (and Haynes) tells me the PCM is suspect. Including the fact that my obdII scanner cannot connect with computer and the fuse is good. Also, the MIL light does not come one when you turn the key to run (initial check to see if the bulb is good)

I called a local Chrysler Dealership to see if they had the tools to check the PCM out of the car. (worth a shot to save a tow bill) He said no. He also stated this, which is why I'm here...

Even if you put a used PCM in the car, it will not flash because Chrysler "burned" serial numbers in each computer. You have no choice to buy a new one. Then you still have to have it programmed. He then told be there are only 4 in the U.S. currently. The closest being in GA. Conversation ended shortly afterward.

So, is that true? I'm curious because I see on several forums people talking about putting used computers in their cars. I do understand that it has to be the same model with the same accessories. (alarm systems etc.) Plus a flash.

I'm just trying to not break the news to my friend that he's going to end up spending $600 plus to fix his car.

Anyone with any concrete information about this? Or possibly something I missed in the diag?

Thanks and for any information. Have a great day.

Jake

Old 11-23-2010 | 04:39 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Welcome to DF
Ck the voltage at the tps or the a/c transducer, you should have 8 volts there too. If you do have 8 volts, then apply the voltage the signal wire and see if it starts.

Old 11-23-2010 | 04:58 PM
FaceFaceMan
|

Originally Posted by master tech
......If you do have 8 volts, then apply the voltage the signal wire and see if it starts.
Are you saying use a jumper wire and piggy back the 8 volt signal from one of those to the Cam sensor?

Unfortunately I am not at the shop any more. So, I'll have to wait until the morning to try this. But thanks for the idea. I must have missed that on the schematic when I was tracing the 8v signal from the PCM. I only saw that it went directly to the cam sensor then to the crank sensor on the same circuit.

Thanks again. I'll post back tomorrow asap with my results.

Jake

Old 11-23-2010 | 05:09 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Thats what i was saying. I do have PDF files that may help you. Send me a pm with your email address and the code or codes you are getting. And i'll send you the files. Along with any schematic that may help too.

Old 11-23-2010 | 06:01 PM
FaceFaceMan
|

Well, like I said in the first post, I tried pulling the codes but the scanner "cannot connect to vehicle"

I've ruled out the fact that the car is not one of those Gen 1 OBTII deals. I've scanned it before with the same scanner. Plus, the fuse to the connector is good.

And doing the "key dance" is mute as I don't even have a check engine light to read and I just don't think the bulb is bad. (occam's razor) If I have to, I'll pull the cluster to make sure.

Otherwise, I have the complete wire diagram from the Haynes manual, unless it is wrong. I actually scanned each page and made one big 4 page diagram as to assist tracing circuits.

What do your .pdf files contain? And/or are your schematics much more detailed? If so, how do you "pm"? Like I said, I'm new to this.

Thanks.
Jake

Old 11-24-2010 | 01:02 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Here is one of many pages on a pdf file. To send me a pm, just click on my high lighted name and go to contact infor. Then you will see send a private messages.
TEST ACTION APPLICABILITY
30 Attempt to start the engine.
Does the Vehicle start?
ENGINE - 2.0L I-4
SOHC and/or ENGINE
- 2.4L I-4
DOHC
Yes ® Go To 34
No ® Go To 31
31 Ignition Off
Disconnect the TP Sensor Connector.
Note: Check connectors - Clean/repair as necessary.
Turn ignition on.
With a Voltmeter, measure the TP Sensor 5-volt Supply Circuit.
Is the voltage above 6.0 volts?
ENGINE - 2.0L I-4
SOHC and/or ENGINE
- 2.4L I-4
DOHC
Yes ® Repair the open grounds at Powertrain Control Module.
Perform Powertrain Verification Test VER-1A.
No ® Go To 32
32 Ignition Off
Disconnect the Powertrain Control Module.
Key on.
With a Voltmeter, measure the Fused Ignition Switch Output Circuit.
Is the voltage above 10.0 volts?
ENGINE - 2.0L I-4
SOHC and/or ENGINE
- 2.4L I-4
DOHC
Yes ® Go To 33
No ® Repair open Fused Ignition Switch Output Circuit between PCM
and Ignition Switch (Check Fuse).
Perform Powertrain Verification Test VER-1A.
33 Ignition Off
Disconnect the Powertrain Control Module.
Key on.
Using a Voltmeter, measure the Fused B(+) Circuit.
Is the voltage above 10.0 volts?
ENGINE - 2.0L I-4
SOHC and/or ENGINE
- 2.4L I-4
DOHC
Yes ® Go To 34
No ® Go To 42
34 Ignition On, Engine Not Running
Was the Ignition on when the 9No Response9 message was displayed?
ENGINE - 2.0L I-4
SOHC and/or ENGINE
- 2.4L I-4
DOHC
Yes ® Go To 35
No ® Turn Ignition on to get a response.

Old 11-24-2010 | 10:12 AM
FaceFaceMan
|

I sent you that PM. Would really like to have that trouble shooting flow chart.

Beyond that, I would still like to know if it's true that you cannot flash an old computer. And if so, does that simply mean that I could find the same car with the same options and try to use that computer? Without flashing it? The only logical thing I can think of is when you go to get it inspected, the vin numbers would be different.

Old 11-25-2010 | 12:10 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

The old controller can be flash, but you need to be able to talk to it first. And the pdf files have been sent.

Old 11-25-2010 | 10:02 AM
FaceFaceMan
|

Thanks again Master Tech for those files. I forget the benefits of working for a good shop is having access to good detailed information.

And to anyone else reading this. I'll be sending the PCM to a place in Tenn called Auto & Truck Electronics. They rebuild all kinds of electronics on vehicles. They can rebuild and program my friends pcm for $189 with a life time warranty. That sure beats the $500 plus tow fees I was told at a few local shops.

Thanks again Master Tech. Happy Holidays.

Old 11-26-2010 | 12:20 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

No problem. And thanks for the information on the place that repairs the PCM's. Happy Holidays too.

Quick Reply: Dealerships says NO! on PCM flash. True? False?