Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Tranny flush tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010 | 01:28 AM
mthwgrn
|
Default Tranny flush tips

My last car I had was a Cadillac, and that was a pain to flush. I don't think the tranny on the Stratus I have now has been flushed at all and it's near 200K.

Can anyone give any tips?

Also, when I did my Caddy I just drained the old fluid, and filled it back up. I want to actually flush the tranny on the stratus, get it clean and fill it up. Any information would be much appreciated. I want to do this and flush the coolant before winter.

Thanks

Old 11-08-2010 | 01:58 AM
Christoph

you could open the trans oil pan (just rise the car but well secure so it won't fall over you) and replace the trans oil filter, and replace of course the oil pan gasket

Old 11-10-2010 | 09:59 AM
GALVANIZEDYANKEE
Professional

You cannot fully drain the tranny by removing the pan. You only remove about half the fluid. To flush the system you require a transmission flush machine. Too expensive for home use. Take the car to a tranny shop. Shop around. I found a shop that did it for $69 plus fluid cost.

Old 11-10-2010 | 11:23 AM
castlenut
Professional

If your car requires ATF4 I wouldn't have a garage do it unless they can guarantee thats the fluid they will put in....

Old 11-14-2010 | 01:34 PM
GALVANIZEDYANKEE
Professional

All professional transmission shops can't afford to use the wrong ATF. Chrysler has replaced ATF-3 with ATF-4.

Old 11-15-2010 | 02:26 PM
castlenut
Professional

My own personal experience was with Firestone and a couple of other places was that they will fill with a generic type of tranny fluid then add and additive to make it to the standard of ATF 4. But is it really? Im not sure. I ended up dropping the pan several times to get out all the old stuff then filled it using ATF4. Call up the place were your gonna get it done. You'll be surprised! LOL!!!

Last edited by castlenut; 11-15-2010 at 02:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Tranny flush tips