Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Stratus R/T Engine or Trans noise NEED HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 05:41 PM
STRMC2010
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stratus R/T Engine or Trans noise NEED HELP!!!!

First initial problem was the starter now I can't figure out wth this noise is. It sounds like its coming from the transmission but then it sounds like its on top of the motor like if it was the pulleys or something when put in gear. This noise goes away when the car was jacked up in the air with the front wheels off the ground. But when its put back on the ground the noise starts again. So I decided to drive it and get videos so maybe you guys could please HELP... Thanks again guys

Here are the videos I just posted them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m5WQScbu3M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mcmuiTSsj0

Old 12-02-2010, 07:32 PM
sapporo
Banned

when you put the starter in the shim is out of position or bent the dust sheild

Old 12-03-2010, 05:33 AM
STRMC2010

I didn't put the dust shield back on, I just finished installing the starter and took it for a test drive and it was still making this noise even with the old stater it did it.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:49 AM
sapporo
Banned

so why didn't you state that to begin with? how are we suppose to know that it did it before you 'fixed' it.

maybe you have loose torque converter bolts. maybe it would best to have someone actually look at the car in person. your video is way to hard to pinpoint the sound and location. nothing better for diagnosis than physically being there. like a concert, rather be live or watch it on youtube?

Old 12-05-2010, 09:05 AM
STRMC2010

Well my mistake for not saying that first! I took it to the dealership and they quoted me damn near a $6000 job to fix the torque converter, replace fly wheel, replace exhaust pipes all kinds of **** rather than explain to me what the actual problem was. Now since this isn't my car I could care less. But I'm trying to seek all help to fix my mother in-laws car. I used to own one of these cars but it was more of a show car than a daily driver.

I also understand having someone next to it would be easier to diagnose it but since I posted this in an area where someone might of had the same issue. The videos would obviously make it easier for someone to say, hey I had the same problem and it was this. Now don't you think that would be help full enough? My post was merely to get input on what people think it could be etc. But since I haven't received any this car will probably just be sold for dirt cheap.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 AM
sapporo
Banned

which is why I said dust shield and starter shim because I've encountered that noise caused by that problem numerous times.

when trying to solve a problem the more relevant information about the problem helps a lot in getting to the point reducing wasted time, chasing down the wrong path, and throwing unnecessary parts at it. (when it started, what was done just prior to the to the problem occurring -like after installing the starter, this noise came on)

When I hear people stating OUTRAGEOUS prices for a job, the only reasons for the price that high is: they don't want to do the job or they don't want to deal with the person. So a ridiculous price it thrown out to chase away the problem.

so did you inspect the torque converter bolts?

"But since I haven't received any this car will probably just be sold for dirt cheap." that's the best idea. scrap is up.. you should be able to junk it for $400 (cat is bringing $90 alone)

Last edited by sapporo; 12-05-2010 at 09:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Stratus R/T Engine or Trans noise NEED HELP!!!!