Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

List of issues...help? lol

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 08:46 PM
esscee400
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default List of issues...help? lol

So I just purchased a 2001 Dodge Stratus SE coupe with the 3.0 Mits motor. I'm having some issues, I think I have most of them pen pointed from doing research, but still would like opinions from you experienced Stratus vets...

1. Anitfreeze leak. I know it needs a new radiator, I found the crack, but it also leaking from somewhere else which I can't find. A puddle of antifreeze keeps forming right under the right side of the valve cover, on top of the tranny.

2. Oil leak. It's leaking from the oil cap, which I think it partly because of the motor mounts being bad and theres a lot of engine movement at idle. I don't think it's the only leak though, because there is dripping from the oil pan and from the bottom of the oil filter.

3. Motor mounts. And/or tranny mounts. I have the common 'creeky' sound from the front end, so by doing research I know that is the front motor mount. Problem is, I think more than that one are shot. It has a very rough idle, when I turn left I feel and hear vibration from underneath the car, and when I shift from reverse to drive it'll slam and jerk if I don't stop completely and let in fully engage. It'll also jerk if I take off to quick from a complete stop.

4. In the mornings when I first start the car to let it warm up, it basically sounds like it's going to blow up lol. It revs at about 3k for a minute, then fluctuates up and down. After it warms up, it's fine. My check engine light is on for insufficient EGR flow, so I'm pretty sure that's what's causing that.

5. Valve tick. Yay.

Sooooo here's the question. First, where are all of the tranny and motor mounts located and how many are there? I might just replace them all. I couldn't find a map or anything that actually showed me all of them. Second, should I just replace the whole damn motor? It seems to me that if I can fix the issues above then it will run great, but I'm also worried that I'll more money into it than I would pay for a new motor. I wouldn't be paying any labor either way, I do all work myself. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:19 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

1. The upper radiator hose connects at the location you mentioned. The thermostat is under the plate where the hose connects. It seems that often corrosion builds under this hose. Clean it up and possibly replace the hose.

2. Replace the oil cap. The seal sucks on the oil cap, I have seen many do this.

3. There are 3 transmission mounts, one 'true' engine mount. one up front that you can see, one under the coolant reservoir (it pulls straight up) One under the battery tray, and one near the firewall, which is easily accessed when the car is lifted up. You might want to install poly mounts, they are a huge benefit. I have installed them in 4 Stratus Coupes now.

4.Not real sure what you mean, I havent had any issues like that.

5. Yeah, its common. Its quite simple to clean them, and doesnt involve any major work, just a little bit of time. The lash adjusters make the noise, and they are located in the rocker arms. Removed the valve covers, unbolt the rocker arms, pop out the lash adjusters, actuate the valve with a drill bit or other small cylinder under a container of diesel fuel, then reinstall.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:20 AM
classicfan1
Rookie

4. In the mornings when I first start the car to let it warm up, it basically sounds like it's going to blow up lol. It revs at about 3k for a minute, then fluctuates up and down. After it warms up, it's fine. My check engine light is on for insufficient EGR flow, so I'm pretty sure that's what's causing that.

SOUNDS FAMILIAR! LOL. I need my codes checked I have a '98 with similar issues. It sounds like your questions are pretty much answered. If this were a first gen. car, I could be of more help.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:19 AM
esscee400

Originally Posted by pearl01stratcpe
1. The upper radiator hose connects at the location you mentioned. The thermostat is under the plate where the hose connects. It seems that often corrosion builds under this hose. Clean it up and possibly replace the hose.

2. Replace the oil cap. The seal sucks on the oil cap, I have seen many do this.

3. There are 3 transmission mounts, one 'true' engine mount. one up front that you can see, one under the coolant reservoir (it pulls straight up) One under the battery tray, and one near the firewall, which is easily accessed when the car is lifted up. You might want to install poly mounts, they are a huge benefit. I have installed them in 4 Stratus Coupes now.

4.Not real sure what you mean, I havent had any issues like that.

5. Yeah, its common. Its quite simple to clean them, and doesnt involve any major work, just a little bit of time. The lash adjusters make the noise, and they are located in the rocker arms. Removed the valve covers, unbolt the rocker arms, pop out the lash adjusters, actuate the valve with a drill bit or other small cylinder under a container of diesel fuel, then reinstall.

Thanks for your help. As far as the mounts go, the only polyurethane mount that I've been able to find is the front motor mount. Do they make all four and sell as a kit anywhere?

Old 12-05-2010, 12:56 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by esscee400
Thanks for your help. As far as the mounts go, the only polyurethane mount that I've been able to find is the front motor mount. Do they make all four and sell as a kit anywhere?
Yeah. Prothane is the brand, part number is 13-1903. Dont pay over $100 for the kit.
How-to guide. http://www.club3g.com/forum/performa...-big-pics.html

Here is what I used to clean the lash adjusters. There are other how to's online with photos. http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techti...r+cleaning.pdf

Old 12-05-2010, 01:07 PM
esscee400

Originally Posted by pearl01stratcpe
Yeah. Prothane is the brand, part number is 13-1903. Dont pay over $100 for the kit.
How-to guide. http://www.club3g.com/forum/performa...-big-pics.html

Here is what I used to clean the lash adjusters. There are other how to's online with photos. http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techti...r+cleaning.pdf

Thanks so much, that should help out a ton. Hopefully getting those motor mounts changed will relieve a lot of the issues I'm having.

EDIT: Just picked up the inserts on eBay actually, for $85 with free shipping. Thanks again. Also picked up a radiatior for $70.

Last edited by esscee400; 12-05-2010 at 02:03 PM.

Quick Reply: List of issues...help? lol