Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Squeek!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010 | 12:11 PM
lotharamc
|
Default Squeek!

I have a 99 Stratus that has a BIG rubber on metal type squeeking noise. At least that is what it sounds like to me. It happens over bumps and while steering so it is nearly continuous. It is obviously easier to hear while going slower. It is loud enough to hear in my house while pulling in the driveway.
My upper ball joints had tears in the boots, so I replaced the upper control arm assembly, "strut", bushing on the "bearing plate" at the top of the "strut", and the two buchings connecting the upper control arm to the "bearing plate for both sides. All was quiet for 2 days and then... SQUEEK!!

Whats the deal? I thought the bushings would have been the culprit.

By the way, what is the front suspension called on the stratus? Is it technically a strut?

Old 12-03-2010 | 11:18 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Here is a TSB that may or may not help. Have you isolate the noise coming from the front or the rear?
SUBJECT: Clunking Or Rattle In Steering Wheel/Steering Column
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves resetting the steering column preload.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Steering wheel/column clunking or rattle is more frequent while hitting bumps or on hard turns.

DIAGNOSIS:
Inspect steering wheel/column for any rattle or clunking noise. If symptoms exist perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty Part No. Description
1 05015627AA Bolt, Steering Gear Coupler Retaining, PL
1 **06506112AA Bolt, Steering Gear Coupler Retaining, JA/JX**
1 **06036212AA Clip, Steering Gear Coupler Retaining, JA/JX**

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
THIS REPAIR IS COMPATIBLE WITH DAIMLERCHRYSLER'S MOBILE SERVICE PROGRAM AND DOES NOT REQUIRE HOISTS OR OTHER FULL SERVICE FACILITY SPECIAL EQUIPMENT.

NOTE: THE VEHICLE WHEELS NEED TO BE ON THE GROUND (SUPPORTING VEHICLE WEIGHT) WHEN PERFORMING THIS REPAIR.

Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
If the vehicle is equipped with a tilt steering column, adjust to the full up position.
Detach the lower steering column intermediate shaft from the steering gear shaft (Figure 1) This allows the steering column preload to reset.
Re-attach the intermediate shaft to the steering gear using a new pinch bolt from the Parts Required section of this bulletin. Tighten the bolt to 27 N• m (240 in. lbs.).
Install the retaining clip/pin into the pinch bolt.
NOTE: A NEW STEERING GEAR COUPLING PINCH BOLT MUST BE USED WHEN RE-ATTACHING THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT TO THE STEERING GEAR. THIS BOLT HAS A LOCKING PATCH THAT IS DESTROYED WHEN THE NUT IS REMOVED.

Connect the battery negative cable and reset the clock.

Quick Reply: Squeek!