Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Dodge Stratus 1999 radio/turnsignal problems

Old 01-12-2011, 09:17 PM
dodgepodge31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Dodge Stratus 1999 radio/turnsignal problems

I drive a 1999 Dodge Stratus, about 110k on it, and awhile back it began having radio and turnsignal problems. The battery was replaced in 09', brand new battery, and it had little effect on the problems. The radio/stereo/clock will turn on and off intermittently. The problem is more common for the first few minutes the car is driven. The longer the car is driven, the less likely the power is to go out. There is usually a slight electrical sound (i.e., crackling) when the power goes on or off to the radio. The lights illuminating the radio's buttons never go off when the radio does, they don't seem to be a problem. As far as the turnsignal, it periodically sticks and will not blink. Turning it on and off several times usually solves the issue.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:16 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
I would start by checking all the grounds and ck all grounds with either a test lite or a DVOM to be sure they have a good ground.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:58 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by dodgepodge31
I drive a 1999 Dodge Stratus, about 110k on it, and awhile back it began having radio and turnsignal problems. The battery was replaced in 09', brand new battery, and it had little effect on the problems. The radio/stereo/clock will turn on and off intermittently. The problem is more common for the first few minutes the car is driven. The longer the car is driven, the less likely the power is to go out. There is usually a slight electrical sound (i.e., crackling) when the power goes on or off to the radio. The lights illuminating the radio's buttons never go off when the radio does, they don't seem to be a problem. As far as the turnsignal, it periodically sticks and will not blink. Turning it on and off several times usually solves the issue.
Sounds like a short in the wires to the radio. A good multimeter and visual inspection behind the dash should go a long way.
The sticking turn signals (they come on, but won't blink most of the time?) is a bad relay under the dust cover on the steering wheel column. 3 screws under the steering wheel will release the dust cap.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:00 PM
dodgepodge31
Default turn signal

that sounds right-the turn signal presses down and is on, but doesn't blink

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dodge Stratus 1999 radio/turnsignal problems