Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Engine dies, transmission in limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:49 PM
crasen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine dies, transmission in limp mode

I have a 2000 Stratus with a 2.4L engine and an automatic transmission. Monday night on my way home from work the check engine light came on and the engine died. It cranked strong and sounded like it was partially firing. It would only restart after cycling the key on and off as if the fuel pump needed to prime the system and would sometimes die again right away and sometimes die after driving for 30 seconds. Then it suddenly started working again. The next morning it never died but the transmission seemed to be in limp home mode as it would not shift into high gear (4500 rpms @50 mph). The DTC that showed up were P0725 Engine speed sensor circuit malfunction. P0700 Trans circuit Malfunction. P1391 Manufacturer controlled ignition system or misfire.
After that it ran fine until this morning, when it wouldn't shift into high gear and the check engine light came on, but the engine never died. This evening the transmission would not shift again and the engine started dieing as well. The DTC's read P0725 and P0700 but did not show P1391 either time. Has anyone encountered this problem on a Stratus before? Neither problems had ever occurred before so I have to assume they are related.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:51 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Could be a bad crank sensor or flex plate.

Quick Reply: Engine dies, transmission in limp mode