Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Input Requested: About to buy 2004 Stratus

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 01:08 PM
abaumbach
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input Requested: About to buy 2004 Stratus

Hi all,
New member here, first time poster. Tried and true Ma Mopar fan going back to my days in the Shelby Dodge Auto Club with my 1992 Dodge Daytona 3.0L V6. I'm currently driving a 2008 Dodge Avenger R/T 3.5L V6.

My fiance is in need of a daily driver and I'm looking at buying a Stratus for her. Any input you can give on what to look for would help greatly. I've driven the car and looked it over and it looks solid but I don't want any surprises since we're also buying a house and having to look for another car in a year or two is NOT on the agenda.

Here are the stats on the car:

2004 Dodge Stratus ES sedan
2.7L V6 automatic
85,467 miles
2 owners
Deep Lava Red exterior
Charcoal leather intertior
The car itself has basically every option available; chrome wheels, A/C, PDL, PW, PMirrors, PSeats, Driver/Passenger Air Bag, PMoonroof, 6 CD changer, 4-wheel discs.

My question is simple, are there any telling signs I can look for or inquire about during the negotiating process? Obviously I've done research on the oil sludge and timing chain tensioner issues. I also understand this year Stratus's have 6 recalls that should be current.

The car looks to be in good condition with no surface rust (good for a Western PA car) and a relatively dry engine bay. The dealer is asking $5477 for it but I'll shoot for $4750 since most price references give the range of $1600 to $8k for this type of car.

Any input is appreciated in advance.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:48 AM
GALVANIZEDYANKEE
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These cars have front and rear upper ball joints. These joints require lubrication, and have grease zerks. They are often forgotten and not lubed every 30KM, or over greased. The over greasing will blow the boots. Valve cover leaks are common. We have also replaced quite a few leaky oil pressure sending units.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:00 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After owning a 2.7 car, I'd rather drive a Yugo.

Quick Reply: Input Requested: About to buy 2004 Stratus