Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

97 2.0 oil pressure woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:27 AM
patmark
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 2.0 oil pressure woes

97 2.0 with 147k, lightly driven Stratus.
Been damn cold here, close to or right at zero. Last few weeks oil pressure light taking up to 45 seconds to go out. Can hear some valve train noise at start up that goes away in 5 to 10 seconds. Gritted teeth and just wished really hard for problem to go away.
This morning, 9 degrees. Driving to work at midnight (stay in school, kids) been on freeway 65mph for 5 miles and the oil light comes on, stays on.
No option at all except to press on for 8 more miles. Light steady, no discernible noise, power and coolant temp seemed normal.
Got to work, and sadly oil level was normal.
I would normally go for replacing the sending unit then resort to prayer.
Also a huge believer in checking with the pros from Dover.
Is there a issue with this engine that I should be aware of? In reviewing this forum I see some discussion of sludge, but it appears to be limited to later model V-6 types.
If someone had a few moments, I would be most grateful for a brief answer to the following questions:
1) Where is the oil pump located on this engine?
2) What level of hassle is required to replace it?
3) Has cleaning or replacing the oil pump pickup screen resolved this problem?
4) Is it possible to remove the oil pan without completely removing the engine? i e; undoing motor mounts, dropping sub frame, etc.

Thanking any and all for taking the time to read my post and taking the time to share your wisdom.

Pat from KC

Old 01-27-2011, 07:55 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. In the oil pan runs off the front of the crankshaft
2. Depends on your skill level
3. Maybe
4. Yes

temp of Zero is warm where I live. We have weeks where the high doesn't even reach zero. I never had a problem with my cars' oil pressure. I use high quality 5w20 in the winter and 5-30 in the summer

Quick Reply: 97 2.0 oil pressure woes