Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

EGR tubes look clogged

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:28 PM
jeremyw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR tubes look clogged

I'm trying to fix the oil problem on my wifes 2001 2.7 Stratus. It is blowing oil on top of the engine. I took off the upper intake manifold so I could do the valve cover gasket. I have taken off the upper intake manifold before and didn't put on a new gasket. there is some oil in the upper intake manifold and the EGR tubes look pretty clogged now. Could the EGR tubes being pretty clogged be my problem with the blowing oil on the engine. How should I clean the EGR tubes or should I get new ones, could not putting in a new gasket on the upper intake manifold be why I have this oil problem??

Old 01-27-2011, 07:18 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EGR has nothing to do with oil what so ever. However if a lot of oil is getting pushed out due to blow by/ crankcase pressure, excessive oil will get into the combustion process which inturn can lead to high carbon build up in the EGR system. Maybe you have a head gasket failing which is allowing compression into the oil return passage. You could clean out the tubes by removing them from the intake and EGR valve and getting a coat hanger and perform Roto-Rooter.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:27 PM
jeremyw

Ok thanks thats what I thought about the EGR, I'm going to clean the EGR tubes out I read up on how to clean them, it was just how you said. The car hasn't lost any power that I can tell, wouldn't you notice a loss of power if you are getting blow by or a head gasket failing? or no

Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 PM
22DODGE22

I don't know, I'm not driving your car to see, I can only guess. However given you issue with massive oil pushing out, you'd need to open your mind to anything that could cause the pressures to make this problem

Old 01-27-2011, 08:13 PM
jeremyw

Thats what I'm trying to do and I do appreciate the help a lot. So this is where I'm at, put in a new PCV valve checked it I'm getting vaccume, cleaned out the PCV hose checked the PCV hole at the valve cover little flow of I guess exhaust. I'm going to take off the front valve cover and put in a new gasket and check the PCV channel in the valve cover. I don't think the valve covers are leaking the back one has no oil on it at all. The front one has oil all over it so because I want to check the PCV channel in the valve cover I thought I would put in a new valve cover gasket to take away that possible problem of the front valve cover leaking, any thoughts??

Thanks again for all the help guys, I need it for this one

Old 01-27-2011, 08:24 PM
22DODGE22

I'm thinking it isn't a valve cover problem. I'm reading a Ford service manual and found where it says a way to see if PCV is to pinch off inlet hose for the PCV system, take off the oil fill cap, put a peice of paper over the hole for the oil fill cap and see if you have vacuum pulling the paper down or pressure pushing the paper up. If pulling down, you have vacuum in the crankcase and the PCV valve is functioning. If pushing up, PCV isn't working or you have more crankcase pressure than the PCV and pull in. I also read the if ther was a lot of blow by, you'd have oil in the inlet fresh air hose and in the air cleaner box or air inlet tube (from the filter box to throttle plate). I'm no expert but I have common sense and logic skills. This is what I was able to decifer from the Ford service manual I found in my dad's book collection.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:36 PM
jeremyw

Ok thanks I have to put the intake manifold back on to test it, dont think I will have time to do it tonight. The first time I had this problem I had a little oil on the air filter this last time I didn't. Do you think I should do the valve cover gasket anyway for I already have it? This is some good info thanks

Old 01-27-2011, 08:58 PM
22DODGE22

IDK, I'm no master mechanic, but I don't see how a valve cover gasket is going to put oil on top of the valve cover. After all, I don't think gravity doesn't go up?

Quick Reply: EGR tubes look clogged