Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Stalling ? Distributor/CPS hall sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:46 PM
michaeltrupp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling ? Distributor/CPS hall sensor?

I picked up this 96' Stratus ES 2.5 V6 a while back for CHEAP, since it was my Grandmothers car and she had always promised it to me when she was gone, she cannot drive anymore so I "purchased" it for only $800. It only had 60K on it.

I have never been one for american cars having always driven Volkswagen or Volvo but overall this is a nice car for my wife.

The only thing is it is a PITA to work on.

When we got the car it had an issue with stalling intermittently for NO APPARENT reason and with no CEL or Code!!

It also lost the water pump after only 5K of driving it, so I figured at that time I would just freshen everything up.

SO..I replaced the timing belt, water pump and all associated pulleys.
Replaced the crank position sensor, cap, rotor, wires and plugs, checked out the IAT sensor, Coolant temp sensor, EGR, all vacuum lines, replaced all hoses, thermostat etc.

Now, in addition to the heat issue (another post check it out if you can help) the car continues to stall intermittently.

I went to Grandma's house and went thru her records on the car and she was having a similar problem only a year after she bought it, she went to the dealer about 6 times before replacing the distributor seemed to cure the issue.

I understand that the Cam Postion Sensor is a hall effect sensor in the distributor itself? I also understand that a lack of or confusing signal from that sensor can cause the ASD (ESD?) relay to open stalling the car and not leaving a code or CEL.

I have found an inexpensive replacement distributor and plan to swap it out once I can dig out a place in the snow on my driveway.

My question is:

Have I found the culprit?

And, Is the Hall Sensor something that can be replaced by disassembling the distributor? I have done this on my VW before and it was just a $30 off the shelf hall sensor. I would like to replace the stock one if possible as a "back up".

Quick Reply: Stalling ? Distributor/CPS hall sensor?