Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2.4 timing belt tensioner

Old 03-08-2011, 04:00 PM
deerstud
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 timing belt tensioner

Hi Guys. I have a 1998 Dodge Stratus with the 2.4 engine in it. It quit last fall with what I believe was a fuel problem. It has 110000 miles on it so I decided to replace timing belt well I was at it. I have got the whole belt side of the motor apart. I purchased water pump today. My question is this. My car has a mechanical tensioner and I have been looking on line to try to find a kit with the idler, tensioner and belt in it and I'm finding listing saying mechanical tensioner first design and mechanical tensioner second design and of course the listings for the hydraulic tensioner as well. Is the actuall pulley the same between the two mechanical designs and the auto parts store offering a kit that has a rear timing cover also. They don't ask whether it's first or second design. I have checked auto zone and auto value and online Ebay. I would like to start putting car back together. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:26 AM
deanomax@hotmail.com

Any re-design would only have been done under duress as a recall. Check with your local dealer. They would pay for it themselves.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:25 PM
bart0510

Could you take the tensioner to the auto parts store and compare it with what is in the kits to make sure you are getting the right one?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2.4 timing belt tensioner