Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

04 Stratus RT sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011 | 08:22 PM
Theniceashley
|
Default 04 Stratus RT sunroof?

I just bought this car and the sunroof doesn't work. The fuse is good b/c everything else for that fuse works. I'm having the hardest time finding a wiring diagram or anything else to start on. Blah. I appreciate any advice. Thanks ahead of time

Old 03-14-2011 | 10:28 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Welcome to DF
Here is some information from the dodge manual.
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - SUNROOF
Before beginning sunroof diagnostics verify that all other power accessories are in proper operating condition. Refer to Sunroof Diagnostic Chart for possible causes. If not, a common electrical problem may exist. for circuit, splice and component descriptions. Check the condition of the circuit protection (20 amp circuit breaker in cavity 19 of the Junction Block). Inspect all wiring connector pins for proper engagement and continuity. Check for battery voltage at the power sunroof controller, for circuit information. If battery voltage of more than 10 volts is detected at the controller, proceed with the following tests (the controller will not operate at less than 10 volts).

Before beginning diagnosis for wind noise or water leaks, verify that the problem was not caused by releasing the control switch before the sunroof was fully closed. The sunroof module has a water management system. If however, the sunroof glass is in a partial closed position, high pressure water may be forced beyond the water management system boundaries and onto the headlining.

SUNROOF DIAGNOSIS CHART SYMPTOM POSSIBLE CAUSE
Sunroof motor inoperative. Faulty control switch.
Faulty circuit ground between sunroof electronics module, control switch, and body harness.
Faulty power circuit between sunroof electronics module, control switch, and body harness.
Faulty sunroof drive motor.
Faulty sunroof electronics module.
Faulty sunroof drive motor or electronics module.
Audible whine when switch is depressed, sunroof does not operate. Faulty sunroof drive motor.
Binding cable.
Audible clicking or ratcheting when switch is pressed, sunroof does not operate. Broken or worn drive cable.
Worn drive motor gear.
Mechanisms not synchronized.
Sunroof vents and opens, but does not close. Binding cable.
Faulty circuit.
Faulty control switch.
Faulty sunroof electronic module.
Faulty drive motor.
Sunroof vents, but does not open. Binding cable or mechanism.
Faulty circuit.
Faulty switch.
Sunroof does not vent Binding cable or mechanism.
Faulty circuit.
Faulty control switch.
Sunroof water leak. Drain tubes clogged or kinked or disconnected from the sunroof.
Glass panel improperly adjusted.
Faulty glass panel seal.
Gurgling sound from sunroof Low spot in drain hose routing, allowing water to stand.
Wind noise from sunroof. Front of glass panel too high or rear too low.
Wind deflector not deploying.
Glass not centered in opening.
Faulty glass panel seal.
Rattles from open sunroof while driving Loose or broken attaching hardware.
Worn or broken mechanism.

WATER DRAINAGE AND WIND NOISE DIAGNOSIS
The sliding glass panel is designed to minimize seal water entry with a snug fit between the roof and the seal. The fit can be checked by inserting a piece of paper between the roof and the seal. The piece of paper should have some resistance when pulled out when the glass panel is in the closed position. The sunroof housing will drain off a minimum amount of water. Excessive wind noise could result if the gap clearances are exceeded. The sunroof glass panel may need to be adjusted.

Adequate drainage is provided by a drain trough in the sunroof housing which encircles the sliding glass panel and leads to drain hoses. If a wet headliner or other water leak complaints are encountered, before performing any adjustments, first ensure that the drainage system is not plugged or disconnected. Use a pint container to pour water into the sunroof housing drain trough. If water flow is restricted, use compressed air to blow out any material plugging the drain system. Retest system again.

To further check for a disconnected drain hose:

Remove A-pillar trim, sun visors, and map lamps/mini console.
Remove sunroof opening trim lace.
Lower headliner as necessary to gain access to sunroof housing drain tubes.

Old 03-15-2011 | 11:00 PM
Theniceashley
|
Default Question #2

Okay we've narrowed it down to a faulty hot wire. There is power at the fuse but not the switch. I do not have the original owners manual, just a Haynes repair. Might you know where I can get a wiring diagram?

Old 03-16-2011 | 12:23 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Send me a email address and i'll see what i can do. Do you have the two coupe or the 4 door?

Old 09-22-2011 | 12:39 PM
02StratusRTSedanInfernoRed

Sounds like I fall into the "binding cable" category; I get motor noises, but it just stalls. Like maybe sat/stood on my roof? If this is the case, what (how bad) is the repair? I really liked having a sunroof, it's been in this state for about three years.

02 Sedan R/T

Quick Reply: 04 Stratus RT sunroof?