Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Engine surging, but only when cold

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:30 PM
sunjay2513
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine surging, but only when cold

After listening to a few of my "trustworthy" local mechanics, I have fallen back to the always reliable forums. The problem I'm having is that my Stratus (2005 Dodge Stratus sedan 2.7L) will turn over fine, but will not want to run when it's cold out. When I pull out of the parking lot and try to accelerate, the engine will level out or stall, at a certain RPM, and then surge to catch up. But once the engine warms up, normally within 30-45 seconds, the car runs like a dream. During this entire time, the check engine light is flashing. After the stalling/leveling/surging stops, so does the check engine light flashing, but it still stays lit. Code reads as "Multiple misfire" I have replaced all of the O2 sensors in the car, the MAF sensor, and all gaskets, and now they're wanting me to replace the ECM. Before I fork over 800$, I want to know everyone elses thoughts/opinions. Feel free to ask me any questions, I will respond asap!

Last edited by sunjay2513; 04-07-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:12 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check Fuel pressure, Maybe Fuel pump is going out.
I doubt the problem is Vacuum leak, or Idle Air control, Replacing Gasket won't help. Vacuum leak or bad IAC motor usually runs rough at Idle, but you said it dies when you accelerate too.
regarding PCM, never heard PCM problem Only when "engine is Cold".
Check Intake Air Temp and Coolant temp with Scanner when it is cold outside, see if these sensors are reading right.

Let say you just Rev the Engine in park, does it still runs like crap and die out? When you say cold, like how cold?

Old 04-08-2011, 12:45 AM
sunjay2513
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the fuel pump replaced, the car hasn't died as of yet, just lags and stalls really bad when i first accelerate. That was my thoughts about the PCM as well, if it is a PCM problem, wouldn't it affect the vehicle all the not time and not just at start-up? And we're talking upstate NY 20 degree cold. The only other thing I can think of is that one of the temperature sensors might be going bad.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:05 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sunjay2513
I just had the fuel pump replaced, the car hasn't died as of yet, just lags and stalls really bad when i first accelerate. That was my thoughts about the PCM as well, if it is a PCM problem, wouldn't it affect the vehicle all the not time and not just at start-up? And we're talking upstate NY 20 degree cold. The only other thing I can think of is that one of the temperature sensors might be going bad.
Can your mechanic Duplicate the problem? or they are just guessing? Ask them to hook up the Fuel Gauge while the car is Running rough.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:29 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Here is a TSB for cold start problems.

SUBJECT:
Flash: MIL Illumination with DTC P0171 and/or P0174 Set Or Hard Start, Long Cranks
During A Cold Start
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) with new software.
MODELS:
2005 - 2006 (JR) Sebring Convertible/Sebring Sedan/Stratus Sedan
NOTE: This bulletin applies to JR vehicles equipped with a 2.7L engine (sales code
EEE).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The software contains the following improvements for those customers who are actively
switching their fuel between unleaded gasoline and E85.
Some customers may experience one or more of the concerns as follows:
ˇ Hard starts or long crank times during a cold start.
ˇ A MIL illumination for P0171 - Fuel System Monitor Lean Bank 1
ˇ A MIL illumination for P0174 - Fuel System Monitor Lean Bank 2
DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (DRBIIIŽ) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures, verify all engine
systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs are present record them on the repair order
and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If the vehicle operator describes or the technician experiences the Symptom/Condition,
perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 04275086AB Label, Authorized Modification

Quick Reply: Engine surging, but only when cold