Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Just purchased a '97 Strat ES

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011 | 06:48 PM
RangoStar
|
Default Just purchased a '97 Strat ES

After selling my 1996 Stratus base earlier this year and with rising gas prices, was time to start looking for a commuter car.

Found a one owner since new 1997 Stratus ES V6 with 87000kms (54000 miles), white with a bit of rust on the rockers and on the hood. Has what an ES comes with, although, there is no keyless remote, can I buy one and program it myself?

Suspension is rock solid, that V6 is very smooth and responsive. ABS and E-brake light is on, what could that be?

Also, i'm not very familiar with that V6, is there anything I should do or be on the watch for?

Old 04-23-2011 | 02:13 PM
GALVANIZEDYANKEE
Professional

The 2.5 is a Mitsubishi engine. It is prone to valve cover gasket leaks as well as spark plug tube leaks.
The power door locks were original equipment. Weird, remotes and alarm were an option.
Yes, you can easily add an aftermarket remote if you can read schematics.
Having owned an96 Stratus you are probably aware that the front and rear upper ball joint require lubrication every 30,000 miles.

Old 04-24-2011 | 09:04 PM
RangoStar
|

Thanks,

Valve covers and tubes, done that on my Neon, so it should be a fairly easy job to do. As long as it's not something like the headgakets...

Always lubricated the upper balljoints.

At that mileage, I wouldn't think anything related to the suspension should wear out anytime soon.

Quick Reply: Just purchased a '97 Strat ES