Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2.7 wont start engine light flashing 10 times

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 07:56 AM
bahahasan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2.7 wont start engine light flashing 10 times

Just replaced engine in the car, the engine spins over but will not start,the engine light flashes 10 times , do anybody have a fix for this problem

Old 05-13-2011, 11:28 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
I got your pm. And you should have some answer for your problem. We do have some really bright members here that can try to help.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:17 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Ye olde NGC dilema? Who wants to start? Shall I ?

Last edited by TNtech; 05-13-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:46 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Sure go ahead. Last pm I sent was to trace the member steps when replacing the engine. The member I believe said and I could be wrong, Has power getting to the coils. But no spark.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:44 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

OK, i'm just getting time enough to sit down and type this out. It was in the 90s this week and cars tend to die like the plaque has hit...lol.

I guess the first thing I should ask is your fault codes. But I will go ahead and assume what is happening because as a Chrysler tech i've had my @ss burned once with this issue myself. At the time these 2.7 engines came out, I was one of the only people in the area to work on them in great number and get to experience the learning curve...lol.

There are a couple types of engine controllers in these vehicles. There is the old style PCI BUS which is what we've had for quite a few years up until the early 2000s were changed to what is called NGC (New Generation Controllers).

The short version of it is that these 2 types of systems use cam/crank sensor input signals differently. If you were to hold a flexplate AND the camshaft sprocket from a PCI and an NGC side by side, you will be differences in the windows (square holes) or the opening locations and durations of these windows. These windows are what create a changing signal that the preset software in the PCM reads as a certain position.

Now, to tell you what you did, I really need the year model of the car and if this was a remanufactured engine or a salvage yard. It may make the difference in pulling out the engine or just replacing the camshaft sprocket.

Last edited by TNtech; 05-15-2011 at 04:50 AM.

Quick Reply: 2.7 wont start engine light flashing 10 times