Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

98 Stratus ES 2.5L V6 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 02:21 PM
myt69mopar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 98 Stratus ES 2.5L V6 won't start

Hey everyone,
having a problem with my 98 Stratus 2.5L V6 and I'm looking for more info. It started when I was coming home and I came to a stop sign and the engine started sputtering and conked out. I was able to get it started but every time I put it in gear it would just stall. I had a EGR insufficient flow code on the car for about a year and assumed it finally wasn't going to work anymore. I changed the EGR valve and the solenoid/transducer, but still no go. I checked for spark, good. I checked the timing, good. Checked fuel, good. Changed the crankshaft sensor, nothing. Changed the PCM, nothing. Tried squirting ether in the valve body, nothing. If anyone has any more ideas or can think of something I missed, please let me know. I'm going to change the distributor tomorrow, so I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 05-29-2011, 04:42 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Jim
Should remove the spark plugs and see if they are soaked with fuel and do a compression test too.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:34 AM
myt69mopar

Well, I changed the distributor and nothing. It ended up being the distributor cap and rotor. It happened that there was spark, just not strong spark.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:08 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Good job! Thank you for replying the fix.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:45 PM
newspirit02

my 98 dodge stratus doesnt want to start anymore. i changed oil got new tires plug wires and sparkplugs, now it doesnt like to start lol. i bought a fuel filter today. if anyone knows what is wrong would appreicate an answer thank you

Quick Reply: 98 Stratus ES 2.5L V6 won't start