Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Vibration Saga Continues

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 05:31 PM
jakew86
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration Saga Continues

I found this forum while searching for answers to my vibration issue and have been grateful of the knowledge I have received by reading threads on similar topics. However, I am kind of stumped right now.

1998 Dodge Stratus 2.4L DOHC
194,000 miles, car handed down to me Jr year of high school in 2004

I get incredible amounts of vibration when accelerating from a cruise around the 55-65 mph range. Vibration comes from the front passenger side.

I have replaced the lower control arm whose bushings where in fact pretty beat up; the passenger side cv drive shaft whose boots look "old" with a little play in the shaft but otherwise seem to be fine; the wheel hub assembly which was surprisingly all beat up with alot of play in it; tried two different tire/wheels attached.

I still get the vibration when accelerating from a cruise. It is hard to say but it does seems to be slightly better. While replacing the above parts I did notice that the upper control arm bushing and tie-rod end bushing that connects to the steering knuckle both feel as though there is metal to metal contact inside.

I am wondering if the upper control arm bushing and tie rod bushing could be the culprit but am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:34 PM
jakew86

Thought:
I do have all the same replacement parts for the drivers side that I plan on installing this weekend. I kind of think I should press on and install the rest of that parts and then have a professional align the vehicle.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:45 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Have you looked at the front and rear motor mounts? You can try rotating the tires, maybe have bad tire or out of balance.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:31 PM
jakew86

Thought I would share my update. Took my car to the Auto Hobby shop on base and talked with a guy who works on alignments. He suggested I look at my drive axle on the opposite side I felt the vibrations. WOW! That axle was all jacked up. I replaced the axle and am happy to say that all the vibration is gone, it feels like a new car. The wheel on the drivers side is also a little out of round so that will need replacing but otherwise I could not be happier.

If your car feels like it is vibrating from the passenger side and nothing you change fixes it, check the drivers side.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Digger95
Amateur

That was the case with my vehicle as well. The axle that needed replaced was on the opposite side of where the noise and vibration seemed to be coming from. Thought it was the driver's side, turned out to be the passenger side.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:51 PM
ddodger

"Has anyone had to replace their lower control arm more than once in a year and fond that it was grinding inside the rim?"

Old 07-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Digger95
Amateur

Originally Posted by ddodger
Has anyone had to replace their lower control arm more than once in a year and fond that it was grinding inside the rim?
I just had to replace my driver side lower control arm and yes, it was scraping against the rim something awful. Didn't drive it after that until my mechanic could put the new one on (I got a Dorman from amazon.com for 67.00 and free shipping). Be aware that there is currently a recall on certain Stratus control arms due to a defect found in them. Perhaps your is covered. There are several recalls that may apply to you so be sure to review the whole list:

http://www.autorecalls.us/aut-04/rec...tus/77523.html

Quick Reply: Vibration Saga Continues