Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Steering Wheel Lock Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:29 PM
LittleFury
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Lock Up

Thank goodness I wasn't driving down the highway when this happened!

I shift into "R" and was about to back up, when the car wouldn't go anywhere....

The brake peddle had glued itself to the floor, the steering wheel locked up, and I couldn't even shift the gear again.

I tried moving around the wheel a bit and pressing on the brake, turning the key... and then I was able to shift into park, so I could turn off the car.

Then I restarted the car and everything unlocked.... I was able to move the wheel, shift properly, and the brake released from the floor.

What the heck is this? Helps!

Old 07-01-2011, 12:31 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
The problem maybe the shift interlock cable or a shifter assy. What year is your car? Because there maybe a TSB for this problem.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:29 AM
LittleFury

Originally Posted by master tech
Welcome to DF
The problem maybe the shift interlock cable or a shifter assy. What year is your car? Because there maybe a TSB for this problem.

It's 2004 SXT 2.4L

Old 12-02-2015, 10:53 PM
Crystal92

I have a 2011 SXT 2.4L and my car always locks up while driving it. I have had my car now for almost 4 years and dealerships couldn't find anything wrong. All my lights come on, on the dash. Going around corners my ebrake light will come on but I don't touch it as well as it doesn't even work. Yet there is nothing wrong. The steering locking up has almost caused tons of accidents and has put me in the ditch lots cause I was not able to turn to make the corner. The only way I am able to unlock it is putting it into neutral quick and turning my car off and restarting it while I am driving. Help??

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Lock Up