Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

coolant disaster!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 05:30 PM
donnyb1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant disaster!

I was told that my 2001 stratus sedan had a bad water pump by a mechanic and wanted to rape me dearly for fixing it, i decided to attempt this on my own. well i'm half way to the pump and i am seeing no signs of a coolant leak any where close to the pump, the only place i see coolant is on the driver side right under the radiator. the leak is constant during and after engine is off. could this still be the pump just traveling in a secret path i can't find or should i strip out the radiator? there's no overheating just starting to leave large puddles of coolant everywhere. thanks!

Old 07-17-2011, 10:40 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
The water pump is on the passeger side of the car, I would say the problem maybe with radiator or the hose's. The first thing I would have done after a mechanic told me the pump was no good, was a pressure test.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:09 PM
donnyb1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah it is the radiator, thanks for the reply, it looks like someone had taken a screwdriver to the mid to lower right corner of it! there's about 20 punctures around there all the size and shape of a round object. only problem i have now is the rusted stripped bolts on the fan and a/c condenser. drilled one out then got annoyed with the heat today!

Quick Reply: coolant disaster!