Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Battery Not Charging?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011 | 04:12 PM
elijahnow
|
Default Battery Not Charging?

1999 Stratus (2.4)
The battery light comes on when the engine is started then goes out with the other warning lights, then bout 30 seconds or so after that the battery light comes back on and stays on until the next time started.

I bought the car a year ago, and about a month after I purchased this problem began. I drove the car one night and the light came on, and of course as I drove the lights went dim, I stopped to have it checked, and was told the alternator was the problem. I couldn't fix it at that time so drove on.

I got to my destination but the engine quite running, so I called to have it towed. The driver offered to jump it off before he put it on the truck, it started and for some reason was now charging fine. I drove it 25 miles home, and the next day pulled the alternator off.

I had the alternator checked 3 times and it checked out fine all 3 times I put it back on and it's worked fine for nearly a year, now the battery light is on again, and I can't get it to charge.

I haven't been able to locate a breaker or lose wire yet.
Thanks for any help,

Del

Last edited by elijahnow; 08-04-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2011 | 11:18 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Welcome to DF
Have you had the charging system checked? If its not charging, Check the wires going to the alternator. If you are not charging, you can always get one from a pick a part. Or just get a reman and recheck the system.

Old 08-05-2011 | 01:49 PM
elijahnow
|

Thanks for the reply.
I guess I need to jiggle more wires and pull more plugs before I buy an alternator.
Do you know if there are any breakers that could cause it to work then not work?
Del

Old 08-05-2011 | 07:49 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Check fuse cav number 5 in the PDC, it also shares power to the starter and the asd relay.

Quick Reply: Battery Not Charging?