Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2001 Dodge Stratus 2.7L won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:57 PM
SamanthaF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2001 Dodge Stratus 2.7L won't start

A couple of days ago the 01 Dodge stratus stopped starting. At first, I tried the turn off turn on turn off trick and it work. However, later that day it didn't work anymore. The car is sort of fluttering and kicking back when accelerating. It revs at the stop light. We checked the fuses, all is well, and the battery is well. Also, we replaced the spark plugs and it still doesn't start. The fuel line has gas running out of it when we took it off the pump. I keep hearing different options like the alternator or coils or even computer board, but these people arent mechanics. Do you have any ideas of things I could test to whittle it down to the problem?

Old 08-07-2011, 03:55 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Do you know if you have spark at the plugs? Could be a cam or crank sensor. But I would need more information, like is the check engine lite on?

Old 08-07-2011, 04:37 PM
SamanthaF

Yes, the check engine has been on for a while now. When we took it to the auto store to check what it was he said it was a dummy light, nothing was wrong. pssshhhh shows what they know. There is no spark at the plugs =(. I am really hoping its not the coils. Is there a way I can test the cam or crank sensor?

Old 08-07-2011, 08:04 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

You said you have fuel pressure, so that tells me the asd relay is working. The crank sersor is on the passenger side and the best way to get to it is to remove the air cleaner assy and reach down and ck the connection or to replace it. The cam sensor is just below the upper radiator hose. The best way check the sensors is with scanner that can read the sensors. I use a DRB3. Which is what the dealer use's. Also check the fuse box with a 12 volt test light for any blowen fuse's too.

Last edited by master tech; 08-07-2011 at 08:06 PM. Reason: adding to story
Old 08-07-2011, 08:26 PM
SamanthaF

Ok ill check those two next then, and ill give you an update. Thank you so much. My brain hurts trying to figure out what is causing this.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:15 PM
SamanthaF

Ok, so everywhere I have called and asked, says that the cam and crank sensor are $90 to test! And that may not even be the problem. 3 different people have told me its the computer which is $100 non refundable and need to be programmed and installed. I have run out of options. I cant afford this kind of stuff if it's not positive to be the problem. What should I do?

Old 08-10-2011, 11:56 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Do you know someone that has a scanner that can read the sensors on the engine? Lets cover the basic's again, Do you have fuel pressure? Do you have spark at the spark plugs? And did you check the fuse's with a 12 volt test light? And the compression is good? If yes to all these, the engine should start and run. Unless the spark plugs are fouled with gas. In which case, you replace them.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:15 PM
whitebread

Your paying too much for any of this. First, my experience. I replaced the Coil Pack. I replaced plugs and wires. I replaced the Ignition Switch. I relaced the Cam Sensor. I relaced the Crank Sensor.
I gave up and sought help. Turns out the new Coil Pack I purchased was bad out of the box. All that extra stuff for no reason.

Seems to me, before you throw hundreds of dollars at a problem, spend $50 and let a pro tell you whats wrong with it.

You may also check the wires going into the Coil Pack. Those arent so hardy. Check your grounds before going to far.

Good Luck.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:16 PM
SamanthaF
Default All fixed!! =)

I just wanted to let you guys know, we did a couple of things. First, I had someone tell me that it was the fuel pump, but from what you said here, I knew that wasnt the case. So, I preceded with checking the sensors, both crank and cam, with a volt meter. Turns out, the crank was fine, but I was getting so action from the cam. I went to the autoparts store, and tested one form their box and got a reading. So, I knew then it was the cam sensor. I replaced it and BAM its running now!! YAY!!! I'm so happy it wasnt something more expensive, it was only 33 bucks. Whew, that had me stressed for a while there. But, I wanted to thank you for taking your time to help me figure this out! You're such a great person. Thanks again! =)

Old 08-17-2011, 11:27 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Good job! This is what the forum is all about. We all share information, that may help others with either the same problem or a new problem.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Stratus 2.7L won't start