Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

new guy here, need help identifying a part

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Jagull
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy here, need help identifying a part

hello everyone, while swapping out my broken hubcaps in the front, I noticed this little gem under the wheel well. It's that red-colored foam looking piece near the top. Unfortunately i don't know the name of the part to order a replacement. I'm also wondering if this is the source of some banging i still hear in the front after having the struts replaced.

Is this a user replaceable part or an auto shop job?

Thanx

Attached Thumbnails new guy here, need help identifying a part-img_0922.jpg  
Old 09-09-2011, 06:30 PM
BillS
Captain

its a coil spring insulator,you can get them at any big parts place advance auto runs 10-15 dollars each,the strut has to be taken out to replace it.if it looks like the picture all the way around the spring i wouldn't worry about it.I doubt thats making your noise .it does look like you need a new ball joint(control arm) shouldn't have the rips in the rubber;

Old 09-10-2011, 03:07 AM
Jagull

thanks for the reply, have any brand recommendations on the ball joint?

Old 09-10-2011, 08:11 AM
BillS
Captain

no recommendations i use mopar(have a great dealer sells them to me for price they sell to local shops, have bought alot from them over years) stick with a name brand you might want to consider replacing whole control arm was replacing one for a friend she paid 15.00( at advance) more for a moog control arm with ball joint($66.99) then the ball joint($50.99) was by itself . did a shop replace the struts?? they should have said something about the ball joints condition it had to be taken out when struts were done

Old 09-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Jagull

Originally Posted by BillS
did a shop replace the struts?? they should have said something about the ball joints condition it had to be taken out when struts were done
yep; no mention :/

Old 09-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Jagull

new symptom - got some horrible squeaking on front passenger side. really noticeable on uneven road

:/

Old 10-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Rocket67
Professional

I just bought coil insulators for the upper and lower on the front and it was about $40 total. I went online and the dealer had a 10% coupon so that saved me a few bucks.

Quick Reply: new guy here, need help identifying a part